1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas dinner 2012

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The wife and I want something different this year so we decided on a Lamb Roast. We are excellent cooks ( the wife could be a super star cook as she is really into cooking) however we have never tried to cook lamb. In past years I have gotten and shared recipes from TS folks. I have gotten a couple of the best recipes ever off you folks. One was a wonderful Carnitas recipe and the other was an Italian dish from Brownst100. Anybody have any good family recipes for a lamb roast??

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

Lamb is greasy! Is it possible to broil it some how? We did lamb roast like we would do a deer/elk/beef roast, and the grease was pretty powerful. We learned not to bake the meat with the potatos & carrots. The meat is excellent, hope it turms out well for you!

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, remember all the Greek restaurants in Fort Wayne? Phoenician, Peters, Black Rose, The Rib Room? I work at them all in high school. The chef for the Rib Room and Phoenician was Tom Kavadis.

There are two schools of thought for cooking leg of lamb. One is Boned, and cooking at 375 until medium rare. The other is bone-in low and slow. The video shows how Tom cooked it, low and slow method. I like the medium rare way, but a lot of people and kids don't. Both methods are excellent. There is a very thick layer of fat on a lamb leg called the fell(sp), have your meat monger trim that off. Good luck.

Wayne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r2ZzZaaX2oI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

My Mother cooked lamb for my Dad, She would make small cuts and insert garlic cloves. Gave the lamb a nice flavor...

5. cubancigar2000

I sure do remember those WayneO. I had a lot of greek friends ( I always told Cy he was a Macedonian and not a true Greek) Boy he got fired up on that topic. You got me to thinking about my best friend Chris Nakos. I shall call him as I know his wife has a good recipe

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Besides those I mentioned, there where the mom and pop places too. Eichoffs, Gouloffs, Laycoffs. Peters was owned by Art Supario and George Mallers.

Does Chris still work at the old Laycoffs? I'd like to see him. Let me know about Chris, one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Any other lamb recipes besides Greek? I had a Irish friend that put one on a rotisserie once. Dam good.

Wayne

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I never tasted lamb. I once won some lamb chops with a mint jelly for trapshooting, but I gave it away for some primers as I did not know how to cook it.
    Steve Balistreri

8. cubancigar2000

WayneO - pm sent

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My grandmother cooked lamb on a regular basis for holiday meals. Grandpa owned a meat market and lamb was one of his favorites. One of my fondest memories is walking into their house on a holiday and smelling the garlic and rosemary of a delicious leg of lamb roasting. rub the roast with a mixture of fresh chopped garlic, salt and rosemary [fresh if you can get it] leave stand at room temp for 2 or 3 hours. Roast covered at 300 until internal temp reaches 100 degrees. finish uncovered until 120-125 is reached depending how rare you like it. Serve with a light brown gravy or mint jelly. Heaven..... Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.