1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choosing shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

here we go again, never owned shooting glasses always used oakleys,looking to buy either decot.post 4,or ranger. i'll have to mail order knowone in delaware sells them. if rangers should i get xl,xlw,hy-wyd,lo wich ones. non script. if someone has owned all and likes one better please help me decide.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go for Decot. They are the best.

3. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

A lot of the glasses designed for shooting are good, but each person has a personal preference. We sell the Randolph brand and I shoot the Ranger XLW personally. I prefer these lenses because of the wrap around lens. I do not like wearing blinders and the wrap around lenses do not allow sunlight in the sides.

In addition, Randolph has the CMT lenses which really bring out orange targets and make them easier to see. I have tried on many of the available lenses and have found Randolph's to be the best. Check them out at our website and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks

Cory Kreith

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I bought the Ranger XLW with a presciption insert. I selected vermillion, deep purple, and orange lenses. I usually stick with the vermillion. I have red/green color blindness, and the vermillion provides some color acuity correction, and really sharpens the target. If you have my type of color blindness, the CMT lenses are not helpful.

The insert is for single vision which corrects mostly for two types of astigmatism that I have. The insert is more closely fitting than normal glasses, so the rim are barely visible at rest. The rims are invisible when focusing on the target.

I worked with Tom Donahue at Texas Shooters Optical. He provides outstanding service. I'll do business with him again in a heartbeat.

Best,
    Dennis

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Get ahold of Wayne or Harold at morgan optical 1-800-594-0175 they are great guys and will help you pick what is best for you.

6. drbauer65

drbauer65 TS Member

My opinion only, but this is a Ford/Chevy/Chrysler question. You will find as many people that like one over the other just as strongly no matter which you are looking at. Talk to people that have each, try each on if you can, at least look through as many as possible taking into account the differences in colors & coatings that they all have available. You won't do badly with any of them.

I personally went with Post 4, and like them alot, I just got the Polaroid bronze glow lenses and shot with them all day yesterday, loved them, but when the sun started to go down, the targets turned dark grey or brown, switched to LTO and all was right with the world again.

Your mileage may vary...

Dereck R. "Doc" Bauer

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I'm a decot dealer and used to carry ranger as well, not an issue with the glasses issue with management on rangers. They are a good product. The biggest issue is have a good optometrist check you out. Talk to them about color blindness and what color will enhance orange for you. The next will be for prescription, most docs just don't add a pd measurement to your prescription. Ask for it anyway RX or not and talk to the order taker and find out what diameter lenses will be best. They come in different sizes also.

Wrap arounds according to my doc blur vision. It is easier to get a clear grind from a flatter piece of glass. Not me my doc address complaints to him. It made sense to me.

Hy-wyds give a better field of view IMO, the internationals leave larger gap between the lenses. To me this is a distraction on hard angle birds. the hy-lo is best determined by borrowing a pair and seeing if the lens hits the stock, if not don't worry about the nose adjustment. Decot's nose adjustment sucks, ranger is much better.

Ask an optometrist for their opinion and also call all of them and ask if they are shooters. Took me a while but I finally found a good one.

8. Duck

Duck Member

ttt

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had a set of Decot Hy Wyd frames for longer than I can remember. They are worth the bucks.

My optometrist is a shooter, but I use my bifocal 'scrip for my shooting glasses.

I like Decot's V-Lite #1 and Gold #15 for everything. I used to have five or six different colors of lenses, but have whittled it down to those two.

A good optometrist will make or break your glasses. My doc spends about 45 minutes on that contraption you look in while he asks if I can see better or worse. A chain place I went to years ago spent about ten minutes and the glasses were terrible. I got a refund on the glasses, but not on the chintzy "eye exam".

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Interesting Info on glasses - I use Post 4 - I need a high optical center

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.