1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a LawnMower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Woods, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Definately Off Topic, but when grass is cut,I can go shooting.Anybody have any experience with purchasing riding mowers at stores like Home Depot.Looking at cadet 46"cut.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Get a billy goat, no need to buy gas for em, no upkeep. When the growing season is over, cabrito sure taste good off the pit.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nothing runs like a Deere...

It is the bench march for tractors - one problem is that recently they have created a 'dumbed down' line for places like Lowes and Home Depot. If you want a 'real' one you need to visit a John Deere farm supply business, or a better mower shop.

Do you want to buy one tractor and be done, or possibly need to replace it every few years??

There is a movement in the landscape field to faster, zero turn mowers - for them a good idea - burns lots of fuel, but they get them in and out FAST (time is money), but they are single use mowers - would you ever add a trailer, snow plow/blower? (Same is true for walk behinds)

You might find a good deal on a used John Deere as well (that's how I got mine) - they will run forever so age is much less an issue with them than any other mower I know.

I was given a five year old Craftsman - gave it away and bought a 15 year old Jone Deere.

Food for thought,

David D

PS IF you go with a store branded mower (Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Deere), spend some time looking at the engine (Kohler, Onan, B & S, Honda - is it cast iron, or aluminum with a steel liner?), also look at the mower deck and blade bushings/bearings carefully. Is it two blades or three (three gives a better cut in that the blades overlap more). Bearings are better than bushings - much longer life...

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I would'nt get a riding mower. Walk-behinds are the way to go. They cut better and faster. Dave T.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you have hilly ground a Zero is tricky, a JD or Toro. Cadet is not worth the money . Look in the back room at lowes there will be several back there

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

When it comes to the chain stores most if not all are made by the same manufacturer. Look and see for yourself. That being said the off brand names are made by the same folks, most of the time they can be had for less. Just depends if you want to pay more for a different paint scheme.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Besides selling sporting goods we are also a lawn care store. It really boils down to how serious you are and how much you want to spend. A lot of people don't realize it but Poulan, Husquvarna and Craftman are all AYP owned and built by the sewing machine company. We are also a Hustler dealer, expensive but a real work horse. Lifetime deck but will have the same problems as the others(bearings etc). You pay for the name of a Cub but get the same quality as a Poulan. The older John Deeres were serious built but the new ones are a lot lighter and again you pay for the name. I just got rid of a John Deere that had hydraulics and all and sold it for $1200.00 and it originally sold for $10,000.00 and it was 6 years old. If I had an acre or less I wold go with the Poulan, Husky or Craftman. By the way, often you can go to Sears and get a new/used returned mower for less than half price with the same warranty. I bought a 42 inch 21HP 2 cyl for $400.00 and had a new mower warranty. They serviced it just like it was brand new. Still runs good. Jackie B.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack is right about the Hustler. My 66" is 4 years old and I'm very pleased with it. Best mower I've owned and I mow 5 acres in less than 2 hours.
    It's so fast, I could drive it to town.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you service them and don't abuse them almost any will do. I bought a new push mower from a chain store for $99.95. I used it for ten years with only a couple oil changes per year. My buddy always had to take his Lawnboy to the shop every spring for a $25 tune up and bragged how good it was. He spent 2 1/2 times the cost of mine on service alone. His did push a little easier though. Plus I still have my old 1961 Cub Cadet I bought with a snow blade and mower in 1976 for $300 and it's still a good machine, only a little faded and of course outdated. but built like a horse..

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i have a 2001 john deere 445. 22 hp fuel injected ,with 54 in deck. we have 2plus acres to mow & i love it. i feel fuel injection is the only way to go. i have over 500 hundred hours on mine. i bought it used with only 25 hours on it. deere employees can trade a mower in every year for a new one. you can pick up a like brand new mower with minimal hours on it if you want to save a few bucks at most john deere dealers. put the snow blade on in the winter & i have all the yard tractor i ever need. dwain

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I bought a Cub Cadet two years ago. A 50 inch cut with a 23 horse Kohler courage engine and it has been fantastic. I was cutting with a 36 inch Cub before. The new Cub cut my mowing time in half. Go ahead and get the 50 inch. You will be glad you did. I cut 3 acres of grass.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the 46" Cub Cadet. I am very happy with it's performance. Next door uses a Toro. The Cadet is twice as fast as the Toro. I also have some very steep grades, and the Cadet handles them without any problems.

13. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I did research with consumers guide and bought the 46 inch hydrostatic, automatic with bagger, bumper, and mulching kit for 1200 bucks. It works great, the first rider I ever had. It was my 73 year old birthday present to myself. LOL

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

The cheapest way out for a rider is Sears. Watch for a sale. Usually you can buy one for around $999- 1200. My wife uses a 42" Craftsman, but after 10 years or so it is nearly dead. I use a 48" Husky and a 44" Troy-bilt. Both are good, the Husky is very good and I have tire chains on it for the steep hills and the slopes where I have to sit on the fender. Whatever you decide on, grease and oil prolongs the life expectancy. Larry Evans

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought a John Deere LA 140 2 years ago with a rear bagger attachment and couldn't be happier. It's my second Deere riding mower and I bought it at the local John Deere dealership (although Home Depot sell them too). I think you get a better product with far superior product support when you buy a Deere product over all the big box store brands. JMHO....and I cut a lot of grass with it every week.

16. cementman

cementman Member

On my second Kubota now, a B7510. The first one, a B6100 lasted 25 years mowing 3 acres in the Summer, blowing snow in the Winter and doing quite a few hours of groundskeeping. When I purchased the 2nd Kubota just wanted to trade in the old one not fooling around selling on my own. The dealer was apoligetic offering me a trade in value more than I paid 25 years prior.

17. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Gee, I really wish I hadn't read this thread. Now I am reminded that I will have to go home and unload the hauling wagon full of firewood, then load the wagon with fine gravel (for driveway repair) and after that haul out the trash then, finally, unhook the wagon and put the 38" mower on the tractor. Fortunaly I have already removed the plow blade so I am ready to mount the mower deck, complete with its new paint job and yearly replacement blades.

At least after doing this routine for the past 25 years on the same tractor, I do have the routine down pat. Somewhere along the way I will have to add some oil to the 11 Hp B&S engine since the main lower bearing seal is getting a bit loose and gee, it only lasted through 4 seasons use for each of the past 25 years. Over the years I did have to replace a fuel pump and a carburetor (The fact that one of my kids, when trying to help, filled the gas tank with used motor oil I had in a can for recycling, may have had something to do with the carb being replaced :-( There are also a couple of tires that just plain wore out to where they slipped a bit when plowing the foot or more deep snow. I am also on my third set of tire chains. A few batteries and spark plugs and some welding on the mower deck were also done during the years. The internals of the engine are still all original.

Now, since I read this thread, I had to think about all this before I get home and mount up once again on my 25 year old, 11 Hp John Deere.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a died in the wool green & yellow farm boy. The older ones are better than the newer ones but I always used a 5310 series with a belly mower because I had a lot of acres to cut. For a smaller up to an acre yard I would buy sears

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just got an email from Sears, 20% off on lawn and garden

20. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Absolutely, hands down, nothing else even comes close - I recomend an old Simplicity or Allis Chalmers. I mow 6 acres with a pair of them made in the 60's. I got 1 for free. I paid $150 for the other, including a snow blower, a grader blade, and a rear tiller. Parts are readily available. They are solid, quiet, and stripe a lawn beautifully. I purchased a brand new John Deere 2210 diesel with a 62C belly mower a few years back... (made in Japan) It normally just sits in the barn. If you are interested in checking out info on the old Allis or Simplicity's go to: www.simpletractors.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.