1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choose your prefered target height at the grand ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WarEagle2017, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

What do you guys think about the way the ATA let anyone choose their own prefered Target height at the Grand last Summer, I personaly did not like it, I think that everybody should shoot the same Height Targets reguardless of the wind conditions, for all of you that are not aware of this, it was the case at the grand last Summer.

2. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

drhuner - This has been a problem for the past several years. The ATA sets permiters for target settings, but they do not enforce said rules. There has been a marked difference in target settings from bank to bank. Some set 9 to 10 feet in hight, but distance differs as much as 4 yards. It seems the ATA does not feel it necessary to police the situation.

I did not shoot last year, but had several knowledgeable friends that did, and they advise the above discreptancies. I know in 2006 you shot very soft targets on almost all banks. About 45 yard average. And the speeds varified same. But alas it was directed by the the ATA.

I guess they thought high scores would bring more shooters in the future. But alas most dedicated shooters would prefer a correctly set target. i.e. speed, distance, height and so on. - Jim

3. WarEagle2017

Well Jim I know that it is not a matter of the ATA Policeing the matter, I spoke to the President ( last years Pres ) and he said that a lot of people prefer to have lower targets when it is windy and that they ( the ATA ) feels that to keep everyone happy set them to what ever Height that you want, I walked up to shoot an event and noticed that the targets were very low too the ground and i asked to have then set at regulation height and they did reset them, but I feel for the poor souls that have shot regulationtargets all year ( with their HIGH shooting Trap Guns ) and the newer shooters that dont know any better that just go and shoot anything that is presented to them. I know that my guns are set up to shoot at a rising target and if I shoot at flat targets I am totally lost...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Were the targets set improperly or did a change in the wind result in the target height difference. Also, very few shooters carry a radar gun to check if the target speed is correct. I do not know of any shooter, even our wise and analytical Neil W., who can calculate how far a legal target should travel with a 12 MPH tail wind.

Pat Ireland

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Based on the "lay of the land" at Sparta how can anyone make the statement "the targets are not going to the stake"? The one thing I do know for sure is there are MANY target setting experts but only a few with dirty hands. Seldom do those who shoot good scores fuss about target settings. The others, well you can finish this sentenace yourself. To quote Bob Schultz,"little green house, little orange things come flying out, shoot them and don't complicate things". Jake

6. WarEagle2017

For the above critics, I did not mention speed and or distance, all that I mentioned was Height, the issue I am refering to was Height, the ATA lets anyone have the targets set to the Height of their choice... ((... PERIOD... )))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.