1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

I shoot a Citori XT, and right now I shoot between 19 and 22 a round. It seems like I do better with a full choke in my bottom barrel, for singles, doubles and handicap at the 19. I have an IM in my top barrel. I'm at the point now where I just want to pick up one or two more targets, so what would be my best bet for chokes for each of the events? I'm not even going to touch the 7 1/2 or 8 for now. I'm just focusing on chokes only. Thanks in advance for all serious advice.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

cali, mac is on the right track, but you need to shoot on paper to find out what your chokes actually do.

When I bought my Beretta 682 Gold E combo I had the devil of a time. I thought it was just because I was so used to my old Superposed that all I needed was time to adjust. It didn't happen. One day I mentioned my frustration to a friend who told me to try a different choke tube. I put in a .040" Full and ran the next 25.

Later that week I set up on a bench and shot three boxes of shells through all my barrels and choke tubes. What I found was that all three barrels shot to different POIs and only 2 of the 6 choke tubes shot where the barrel pointed. With all that variability, it was no wonder why my targeting computer was so confused.

I ordered IM and LF tubes from Briley and tested them. They both shot to the same place. The IM shot 79+% patterns @ 40 yards, so I used that for everything. My scores improved dramatically. I sold the O/U barrels because they shot to different POIs and I could not get used to it.

Browning O/U barrels often shoot to different POIs, and usually the top barrel shoots higher. A friends Browning does and so did my Superposed. I didn't know to measure such things back then, but shooting (standing) at 25 yards the IM Under barrel centered the POA, but the entire pattern of the O barrel was above the POA.

So if you are serious about shooting well you'll have to do some work. To determine if your hardware is up to snuff, set up on a bench, with a rest and shoot at a pattern board between 13 and 20 yards away. Sight the shotgun just like it was a rifle and try to be consistent. You are trying to find out whether the barrels and chokes shoot straight, not where you shoot it. There have been many threads about how to do that. Try a search. Then go shoot every combination for POI. No matter what you find, it will be a couple hours well spent. You'll either know your hardware is OK, or what you'll need to do to fix it if it isn't. Good luck.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Your Browning will NOT give you a good pattern at the 16yd line with a Modified choke, I have tried 4 different factory chokes. Your factory improved mod. should be all you need from the 16yd line to the 25yd line, Doubles shoot factory Modified [bottom barrel]first and Improved Mod [top barrel]second.

GS

4. calilori

calilori TS Member

My gun has been patterened. I know how to do that and I know where it shoots. I'm just asking for a rule of thumb what the best choke would be for my needs. Thank you guys for taking the time to answer my questions. I knew I could count on you guys here to give me more information than I need but all good information. It will take time to process it all.

5. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

try Comp-n-Choke IM in gun. I shoot with them in a 687II and picked up that extra bird

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Browning factory Modified choke is rated to have a constriction between .012 and .014 which I believe is the ideal choke provided you take your targets just a tad faster than Britt did.

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have the Browning ImpMod in the top barrel of my XT which I use for singles. I have a Full in the bottom barrel. Theory: ImpMod or Mod in top with light 1 oz. loads for singles; Full in bottom with 1 1/8 oz. load so the recoil is more of a "straight line" shove. The factory flush Browning chokes seem to do the job...would buy the extended types, but I'm too cheap. Best Regards, Ed

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would stay with the full choke. I would never consider anything less than an IM.

Pat Ireland

9. calilori

calilori TS Member

Pat, Why do you say that? I know it's just a head game with me because I seem to do so much better with the full choke than when I tried the other chokes, but I'm wondering if it was because it was a new gun or maybe I just get confidence when I totally smoke the target. Thanks again everybody for the advice.

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

When shooting doubles, people with barrel selectors typically shoot the bottom barrel first. do you fire your bottom barrel last in doubles? Full choke won't hurt on the second shot in doubles. full choke will work fine but is not necessary at the 16 yard line and is not necessary through mid yardage handicap. My singles gun is my handicap gun and it is fixed full choke (.035). My old Citori doubles gun uses Briley LM/IM choke tubes.

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Just put in an improved modified and never touch it again. Thats what I use for everything and it works great no matter where you are shooting from. The only time I might change is in doubles.

12. calilori

calilori TS Member

I was always taught to shoot the bottom barrel for singles and first shot of doubles. I hadn't heard of shooting the top barrel first before now.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

cali, whatever you use for choke from a given yardage, make sure that when target is centered, it turns to smoke.

I like Pat use full. Never have to worry about an edge_target slipping through the pattern. Very important for long handicap shooting....

Chokes won't buy targets!

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

calilori
    You wrote "It seems like I do better with a full choke in my bottom barrel" so I asked the logical question of which barrel do you shoot first for doubles. Now you write that you shoot it first for doubles. It makes no sense to shoot a full choke for the first shot of doubles. Lots of folks hit that first target inside 25 yards. Why use a 40 yard choke for that shot?

15. calilori

calilori TS Member

OK, I am going to go there....why 7 1/2 instead of 8's? Yes, I really did ask this question and I'm totally serious.

The reason I shoot the full for the first shot of doubles is just because I don't change chokes. That's why I'm asking about that now. Right now I have a full in the bottom and an IM in the top.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Calilori, There is lots of disinformation on this thread. You will have to learn some of this on your own. I shoot a customized Browning Plus combo. The only thing factory is the chokes, there is lots of other work done to the gun. As someone who has shot this for about 12 years you need to do some work with your loads and what will work in your gun. Here is where to start again!!!!

16yd bottom barrel Improved mod choke
    Handicap Improved mod back to 25, then I would consider a custom choke light full. The truth is Browning Full chokes are VERY full........
    Doubles Bottom first Modified choke
    Top Barrel Improved Mod choke.

Shot I shoot 7 1/2 for everything except my first shot in Doubles, 1oz #8's first shot doubles.
    My gun has NEVER been able to give me good target breaks with #8 for 16yd or handicap....Your milage may vary.........

GS

17. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Do not shoot 7 1/2s. Shoot #8 shot. At 16 yards, shoot #8 1/2s or 9s. For the first shot of doubles, shoot 1 oz of #9s. More pellets is a good thing. Forget all that crap about striking energy and just think about having more pellets. you are only breaking a piece of clay, you are not trying to kill a real bird. And give up the full choke for the first shot of doubles, you are being stubborn, not smart. People who really know what they are doing with doubles would never advise you to shoot a full choke for doubles - so just stop it.

18. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Different guns / barrels / chokes like different loads and shot sizes. Wind and temperature also have an effect. There are no hard and fast rules and that is why we have these discussions on a regular basis. You need to try all the different options that you have and work out the best configuration for you. There is no magic formula that will always work for everyone.

There are some shooters among us that can shoot just about anything and make the rest of us mortals look foolish. IMHO, you need enough choke to make a little smoke when you put the full load through it. If you can arrange it, get a trap to yourself and set the machine up to shoot what you want to practice. As an example, your first shot in doubles, so lock the machine on the correct flight path for the first shot in doubles, with a little less spring. That way you get the correct velocity on the single target (that way you don't waste the second target and can just shoot your first shot). Try your different loads and chokes, until you find the one that works best for you and your gun.

Good luck. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.