1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes on doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

New to trap and have just been shooting singles and a little hcp (20) and a local range has a Big 50 event that is all registered targets that I want to start shooting. Having not shot doubles before I was curious as to whether those using o/u guns use the same choke in both barrels.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I shoot a skeet then mod. But that is me in my Caesar Guerini which I know shoots tighter than the chokes are marked. I have had 2 o/u barrels that were worked by Tom Wilkinson for doubles and they were 16 thousandths under / 31 thousandths over and 17 thousandths under / 29 thousandths over. Since he knows a lot more than I ever will his measurements would probably be a great place to start.

Seeing some of the later posts I guess I should add that that should be in the area of Light Mod and Light Full depending on the maker.

--- Chip King ---

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

My guess is that his first doubles means those numbers mean very little to him.

It's personal preference as to how your gun patterns, but a lot folks shoot IC in the bottom barrel and Mod or Imod in the top.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More important than choke is the POI of each barrel. The first target is rising and the second target for most shooters is flat or dropping. HMB

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

IC - Mod are good places to start.

SW

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Keep it simple and shoot the choke you use for singles at the first shot and then use the choke you use for HC on the second shot. My combo is MOD for first then IMOD for second. You want enough choke to smoke both targets when you center the pattern on the target.

7. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Full and Full only. Everybody shoot the same then it's a fair fight!

Harry

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

2 Cents Worth----I Use Light Mod. On First Bird And Light Full On Second Bird And It Seems To Work Well For Me . I Have Tried Many Different Chokes And These Work Best For Me.It Is Possible To Have Too Much "OPEN" Choke. If You Are A "Slow" Shooter And Use A Too "Open" Choke There Will Be "Holes" In Your Pattern. JOE Whitehurst

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I like IM and full,you need to learn to quickly make an inkspot out of the first target and never think about it again,when new shooters start with doubles they think way to much about the first target and if they miss they will almost always miss the second,shooting the first target quickly and with confidence is the key to shooting doubles.Jerry

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Every one of us is different depending on shooting styles. I used I/C and I/M.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm with Hoosier Daddy, I too say use a Improved Cylinder (first shot) and a Improved Modified for the second shot. This would be perfect for you as your just starting and shooting the targets abit slower than a seasoned shooter. Now enough about chokes and just go out and shoot. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I suggest you use what you have and not go out and buy additional chokes until you shoot a bunch of doubles and get it in your head that special choke will get you more birds! 8)

Targets are taken at different distances, while not a rule, using the same choke when you do not have to does not make sense to me.

Bottom barrel, 1st shot, IC or Mod. This choke should be more open than your singles choke, since you know were the target will appear and can be waiting for it. Shoot it as fast as you can without being out of control. The faster you can get the first target, the easier the 2nd one will be. On post 3 try taking the left bird first if right handed, reason being that it is easier for right handed people to swing left.

Top barrel, 2nd shot, IM or Full.

Jason

13. Garry

Garry Active Member

Subject: What Leo Harrison shoots
    Email: karlaannharrison@hotmail.com
    Date: Mon, Dec 28, 2009 - 11:15 AM ET
    Website Address:
    Yes, he shoots his O/U, top barrel, full (.037 inches) constriction. For doubles his first shot is .017 and the second shot is .037. He has a theory about how you need to learn to shoot a "hot core" and not rely on a big pattern.
    Leo shoots .045 constrictions in his handicap barrel.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.020"/.030", whatever the choke maker calls those constrictions.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best trap chokes for ata doubles
the keys to shooting doubles in trap
what chock tubes to use for shooting doubbles trap
what chockes and shot for ata doubles

what chokes to use for doubles teap

what chokes to use in trap doubles