1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes in reg. shoots - opening can of worms?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Have been going at it for two months now - 12-16 rounds/week. Am now playing with chokes in practice. Trying to sharpen accuracy with XF - my numbers took a hit and occasionally revert back to IM to see the progress. Now consistently in the 90's with IM. My XF scores are slowly climbing in the process. Loving the smoke they make. Due to spending this much time with different chokes I've become accutely aware of the difference chokes make. Thought crossed (what's left of) my mind regarding the liberal rules regarding permissable chokes in competition/registered shoots.

Recent thread here stated whether one chips a target or smokes it, it's still a dead bird. Aside from the 'drama' of a smoked target (i'm getting addicted to it myself) does it make sense to not shoot a Mod. or IM choke when one is in pursuit of higher registered scores? Discussed this on the phone tonight with a buddy who agrees with me. In all fairness to those opting to shoot a full choke in competition, doesn't it seem logical to reward a shooter somehow for pulling high scores with a tight choke? Handicap-type system pointed at the added skill required with tighter choke? Reward those who've worked at honing accuracy to that degree so to speak.

Since I'm new to the organized sport, it crosses my mind frequently. Thought there would've been more restrictions on choke use than we have. Not complaining - just airing out some thoughts here.

Flame away. Hitting the sack shortly.

Cheers
    Bill Stengel

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I'm not the fastest gun in the East but I have shot a cylinder bore from 16yds just for fun. If I do my job, it breaks targets. Folks give you some strange looks when you show up shooting a 26" barrel.

Big Jack

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Did the same as you. I would say it depends on alot of factors 1. being what do you like. My 870 exspress I started with. I used a M at first. Thats what came with the gun. I then tried my XF turkey choke, still in the gun today. Now my XT I have gone thru every choke That came with it. U barrel I have settled on briley spectrum IM. O barrel factory full. I have settled on these until I get to try some other makes against the paper to see a pattern. Yes I did pattern all my chokes, many times arghh I want that ammo back! The briely is just great. I used it back to the 22yard line so far. Recently shot a 23 with it from 27. I do not get to shoot from yardage to often.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you can get a copy of Trap Shooting is a Game of Opposites by Dick Bennett, you'll find that the makes the statement "Trap requires dense patterns and long shot strings."

He contends that chokes more open than IM create a pattern loose enough that some targets cannot be broken consistently (he is referring to the low, edge-on targets) and that a tight choke will shoot a pattern that will break any target thrown. When speaking of IM chokes, he is talking about constrictions in the .033" to .037" range with "FULL" being up to .044".

There is more to the discussion than I can include here but he ends with the suggestion that you pattern you pet load with a variety of chokes to find the one that produces about a 28"-30" pattern at 35 yards with a uniform shot density from center to edge.

Morgan

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think if you follow what Capt. Morgan states as Mr. Bennet's advice you will be trying different choke tubes forever, with no success. In the very, very unlikely event you find one that consistently delivers the patterns he urges you to seek, your averages will fall. There are not enough pellets in any ATA legal load to provide the pattern density consistent with both the second and third paragraphs above. getting even coverage over a circle in the 18" to 21" diameter range at that distance is about the best you can hope for.

For those of you who wish to save a great deal of time and money, I'd suggest you experiment with The Pattern Optimizer applet at the URL above (you will need Java enabled). It is unfortunate that Dr. Jones removed all of his posts on this forum, because he provided a lot of insight about what information you could glean from his applet. However, the instructions found at the -Why & how to use it- link at the top of the page are sufficient to get you started.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

>>>"There is more to the discussion than I can include here but he ends with the suggestion that you pattern you pet load with a variety of chokes to find the one that produces about a 28"-30" pattern at 35 yards with a uniform shot density from center to edge."<<<

He might be looking for that choke and load combination for a REALLY LONG time. I've patterned hundreds of choke/load combinations and I haven't found one yet that's the same density at the edge of the pattern as it is in the center of the pattern.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

ZZT has given you the correct information. Many many pattern tests have shown that a more open choke merely gives a weaker core pattern without adding any extra pellets to the outer fringe. For Trap you need IM for Singles and Full for Handicap. For close range Skeet shooting you can use an open choke.

8. Billster

Billster TS Member

As always, interesting/insightful feedback here.

I imagine the science of chokes is too involved to limit chokes in competition. Let each shooter devise his/her (had to throw 'her' in there otherwise won't hear the end of it here) best formula for success.

As of this a.m.'s four rounds I've pretty much decided the optimum choke for me is IM (at least until Briley gets the LF to me this week.) I'm smoking them as well as with the Full but am getting better numbers/consistency. Will save the Full for 'caps.

Thanks again, guys.
    Bill

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

No one can give you an absolute, to many variables. Put your load on paper, pick the pattern you want and shoot it. What the choke is marked is only a starting point. Throw away half of the advice you get and question the other half as to it applying to you. Good Luck.

Don

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

there are really only two chokes,choked or open, all else is conversation.

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

No choke will make up for not pointing the gun in the right direction. Use the choke that lets you consistantly smoke ball targets, and learn to point the gun in the right direction every time.

Also, I see no reason to practice tight, and open up for competition. Use the choke you plan on using when competing at a certain yardage, when practicing at that yardage.

~Michael

12. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

as said before choke for smoke,great for confidence

13. Seitz 719

Seitz 719 TS Member

Nothing but fixed full. Tom.

14. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I used IM or full in my Brownings. From 16 to 27 yds. Now, I have a fixed Light Full in my Ljutic. It works great from 16 to 27. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.