1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What two chokes should I use for sporting clays? I don't really want to switch chokes out every station so I would prefer a recommendation as to the best two all around chokes for the sport.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You can choose IC or LMod or Mod. If you miss, it won't be because of the chokes. Mark

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Start with a pair of IC's. Then decide whether you'd be happier with a pair of LM's.

If you're new enough to be asking the question, you'll be better off not clouding your mind with 2 chokes. Choke changing is a finesse you should introduce as you progress to the point where you don't want to give up a single target. Some shooters then mature to the point where a single choke again becomes the modus operandi.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

How about one LM and one IC? I can change the order the barrels fire in if needed for a shot.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That will work just fine Rich..I use that combo and other times I use SK and LM

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

That's an impossible question to answer since sporting clays shots vary from 10 yards to 50. If you think IC or LM is good for 50 yard shots, then have fun. Using just 2 chokes will give your competitors an advantage and they will appreciate it.

Personally, if I was foolish enough to limit myself to 2 chokes they would be LF and F.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

John makes a good point...firsthand knowledge of the course style is a big factor...since for me SC is just for fun and I've shot the same places multiple times ..my chokes are usually what I stated

8. mike campbell

I don't think it's an impossible question to answer at all for a beginner.

I've been shooting clays and coaching beginners for 20 years and what Rich219 asked in his second question is exactly the problem for beginners.....agonizing over which choke to use and fumbling with the selector when they should be focusing on the fundamentals and just shooting the target.
    Furthermore, if you're going to waste time and confuse yourself fumbling with 2 different chokes, at least make them different. There's no practical difference whatsoever between a nominal IC and LM.

As for "foolishly" limiting oneself to a single choke, much less 2, someone needs to tell Anthony Matarese that he's a fool and he'll never get anywhere shooting an autoloader.

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

A choke can't be too tight if you hit the target but it sure can be too open.

jim brown

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

.043 x.043.. nothing escapes...OO

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Rending, what happens when you have two crossers at 50 yards? You might chip one with your .020 but your .005 is going to suck pond water.

jim brown

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If given only one choke which is what i am limited to because of shooting an auto there is nothing you will miss by shooting .020. One choke is not limiting you but actually giving you less to think about and worry about. Targets are NOT missed because of choke. That is a fact few want to admit. Pick one shell and one choke and you will be way ahead of the curve starting out. If given the choice by shooting an o/u go with .017 and .025 or something close.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, If you really want to shoot Sporting Clays often then with your gun get a Skeet choke, a IC choke and a Mod. choke. If you are shooting a O/U then you will need to get two of each of these chokes. I'm sure you can make use of at least some of these chokes in other games as well. I like to use a good quality extended choke as they are easier and quicker to change. Most stations are set up for the same distance shots because of the single barreled auto shooters so its important to have a pair of the same chokes. Now that said as you get more serious and go to some larger shooters, they will set up targets at two vastly different distances just for the O/U shooters, so it even outs as they say. You can always ask on this site if someone has some used chokes for sale, to get them at a lowered price. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

14. MR870

MR870 Member

Light mod or Mod.Vary the use of 8's or 7.5's.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You'd think there'd be a demand for a new, updated, Poly-Choke (aka Dial a Duck). It would be quite useful for sporting clays if it could be made to be reliable and rugged and consistent for patterns. I know a couple of companies made adjustable screw in chokes, but the one I checked out at the store was very difficult to turn. To the point where it would have unscrewed the choke before adjusting itself.

16. mike campbell

There ya go....6 choke tubes, a mix of #8's and 7.5's....maybe some 9's and 8.5's, too. Oh what the hell, get the gun ported and backbored, add an adjustable rib and recoil reducer, too, and you'll be ready to learn the game of sporting clays.

And don't bother to practice a low gun mount, just wrap some electrical tape around the pad so you can drag it up your body as you mount the gun. Better yet, start out with a pre-mounted gun like we use in trap and do it until you hit the wall. THEN try to learn to shoot occasionally from a low gun start.

Tongue in cheek, Rich219...

emot87.gif

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ....then stand there in amazement while some once-a-year duck hunter visitor sweeps the field with his beater 870 with no rib and a full choke.

18. oz

oz Active Member

you don't have to use a low mount any more. use 1 oz of 7 1/2's with I/C if you get a real close target put a skeet or cylinder in.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What would King George use?

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I've been using Full and Fuller lately.

My club throws Bios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best choke for sporting clays
best chokes for sporting clays