1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Larry D, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry D

Larry D TS Member

I want my O/U to have different POI, I want my under barrel to shoot 80/20 and my top barrel to shoot 60/40. I have a Berreta 687 with optima chokes. I still want to be able to use all my chokes but would like to get a LM for my Under barrel and an IM for my top barrel. Where do i send my barrel to have these chokes put in and made to shoot at the POI that i am asking. Thanks, Larry

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I have an O/U MX-8 whose lower barrel shot both low and left, mostly left. I had Ted at Briley (referenced above) make a couple of chokes of two constrictions to fix the left-shooting and at the same time raise the POI so it shot a good deal higher than I was used to. Maybe six inches high at the target, which was to be the the first shot in doubles. After all, everyone says that's what is needed so since this was basically an experiment I thought I'd give it a try.

It shoots exactly where I asked, and round as well, but I never thought of looking for more dense anywhere as Jack is finding. It just seemed to shoot fine, that's all.

But I can't shoot it well. I miss too many first birds; I shoot over them or just fail to break them sometimes. Just every once in a while. So I shoot my gun from Frenchy. It shoots flat for the first and a little low for the second and that's the gun for me. It's 0.028 and 0.038 and I'm never going to change that.

The experiment was successful. All three aspects I was testing gave a result:

1. Briley can move the POI and it will stay there.

2. I don't need a high-impacting doubles gun; in fact I can't shoot one.

3. An open choke for the fist shot never got me a bird more than the tighter one; all it changed was smoke into chips.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chokes that dont shoot to poi