1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for International/Olympic trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by medic23, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medic23

medic23 Member

I was wondering what choke selection/combination is used in International trap? Due to the fact the bird travels a bit faster and that there are two shots allowed at the bird, are most guns choked Full/Full or is there another combination that the International/Olympic shooters prefer? Any advice from the International trap shooters would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ben M.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My Beretta barrels are choked .028 and .038 on a .723 bore.

ss

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Generally I recommend .25/.35. My 3 guns are .29/.41 .24/.32 and .25/.5

where are you shooting bunker? We are having a great bunker shoot at Gator Skeet and Trap the last weekend of the month. Come on down to Florida.

Tom

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tom

Do you ever shoot at the bunker trap in Kansas City?

Private club, but I have heard the bunker trap was supposed to be available to the public. Hasn't worked out that way.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Is bunker like wobble but with one bird. Bunker???? I not sure of it. I'm serious, please explain in a brief description as to what it is. When ever bunker comes up, I ask and no one wants to make a statement to me about it. I like shooting wobble. I don't choke quite that tight. I'm trying to figure out what you guys are doing. Anyone shooting bunker in PA. Maybe tip me off to a S.E. PA club shooting it.

Medic, I'm not trying to hijack your thread but sure would like to get an understanding about these targets and the two shots allowed at it. Thanks, Spank

6. medic23

medic23 Member

Sounds like the standard setup is .25/.35 so it looks as if I need to get a .35 choke since I only have a .25 for my Kolar. Steve, thanks for the link to the story as it was very helpful. I am moving to Vancouver, B.C. where the the Vancouver Gun Club has a pretty nice range for their bunker trap shooters to use. Tom, i'll keep you guys in mind next winter when i'm planning a warm weather vacation/getaway!

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Spanky - click on the "shooting bunker" link in NSXER's post. That website has a lot of really good info on it and will explain the game to you.

It is not like wobble at all.

Bunker is shot from fixed machines. Wobble is shot from an oscillating machine. Wobble can be cranked up pretty good and the target speeds and heights can get part of the way there to simulating a bunker target. But.....bunker targets are wicked fast and WAY deeper angles than most people are used to shooting.

I know folks that are outstanding wobble shooters that struggle when it comes to a legitimate bunker scheme. The deep angles and extra speed is what gets them. Most folks can handle a target inside the 25 degree arc (25 left to 25 right) but as soon as you go outside that arc their hit percentage drops WAY down. Making the move to hit a 45 degree target is beyond most ATA shooters - I'm not putting anybody down - so don't get upset - I'm just saying when it comes to the body mechanics - seeing the target, then moving to hit it - a target well outside of the shooters comfort zone (35 to 45 degrees) presents a whole new dynamic.

There's a reason nobody has a perfect score in world competition.

Bunker is hard.

REALLY hard.

FWIW, chokes mod and full get the job done pretty well, as Tom says, .025 to .035.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

There is also a full bunker set-up at the Missoula Trap Club,Missoula,Montana.

9. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Not enough bunker fields around ..PERIOD !!!!!!!

LadyT thanked this.
  10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I prefer LF/XF for this most delightful of clay target disciplines.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

There is a full bunker set up at Cardinal Center, Home of the Ohio State Shoot.

gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

We are having a bunker postal shoot on feb 27.send me an email if interested

13. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Spanky, there's a bunker near Allentown, PA at the Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club. Email me at voolfie@yahoo.com and I'll send you a schedule of events.
    -John Wolfington

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sportshot:

The particular Perazzi is one of the first ever made. It has 1967 proof marks. Not surprisingly the second barrel pulverizes the targets.

Tom

15. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

As to chokes...I believe most of us are over-choked. I'm using .025" & .030" constriction and I'm getting solid, hard second barrel breaks. Not that I need them, of course ;)

16. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

voolfie, e mail sent

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

is there a good FIXED choke combination for someone wanting to shoot bunker/pigeon/sporting clays all with one barrel? Or is there too much variety in each game to warrant just one barrel?

18. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Hatshooter, my email is acting up...try me at voolfie@comcast.net -John

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

sernv99,

I'd say you'd be happier with choke tube barrels than fixed. That is unless you shoot like George Digweed.

ss

20. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

sernv99, it's just a preference with your shooting styles. if you have fast reflexs & good eyes, looser chokes might work for a 1st shoot hit, say mod. if you are a little slow on 1st or 2st shot, tighter chokes may perform best. some like hits, some like to see a little smoke. myself, I like choke tubes , IM/F for both international & flyers. some go F/F or tighter... as far as single bbls, such as a auto or pump, you are handicapping yourself,& I don't think it is allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best chokes for international trap

best gun for bunker trap
choke for olympic trap
chokes for international trap

chokes for olympic trap

chokes used by international trap shooters
olympic trap chokes
what choke for olympic bunker