1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for dove...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Loyac

Loyac Member

As redundant as this question might seem, what chokes should I use with a 28" barreled 12ga over under. The hunt will take place in the Central Valley of California near Madera. Thanks! John

2. Trap MD

Trap MD TS Member

I have pretty much tried them all and it seems like I always end up going back to a modified.
    I will have a improved cylinder handy though in case most all the shots start to end up being really close shots.

If you really want to have some fun shooting doves; go get a 28ga.!!!!

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

John, Choke is a function of range. Nothing more and nothing less. The birds and your spot will determine which choke will be needed. If you do not own a gun that has choke tubes, I would invest in one. This way you can have all the chokes you need in your pocket and let the day determine which choke you will need.

I have killed doves with a skeet choked 410 with 1/2oz of 9's up to a SX-1 with a custom full choke and Remington Nitro 27 7 1/2's. Just depends on the day and the conditions.

Private ground,unmolested birds, and on opening day should be able to be shot with just about anything as long as it's modified or more open but that is just one scenario! If they start seeing you or get the wind up their asses or any number of other factors you may need more choke and more shell. Good luck! Jeff

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

SuperXJeff is right; it all depends on how far away they are flying. My "go-to" choke down here in the South is usually Improved Cylinder, although there are times I wished I had Modified. Early in the season, I have used Skeet with great success. Again, it's all about how far..... Mike

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Improved cylinder or light modified if hunting over a Mojo Decoy and the birds are responding to it. Modified for all else. Use quality target loads. Been hunting them for 50 years.

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

7 1/2s, trap 1 1/8, modified, has you covered for most all shots. Plenty of lead and a flat shooting gun......FUN......m

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

20 ga, #8 out of a mod choke.

Will handle 95% of your shooting at all ranges

IMHO

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The others have you pretty well set. But know this, right when you think the right choke is in for the situation, the birds won't react correctly. Usually I just use something between .015-.022 and shootem.

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

And shot size depends on whether you are hunting Whitewings and/or Mourning doves. When I hunted where there were only Mourning doves I generally used 8's. Now that I hunt where both species + Eurasions are present I use 7 1/2's.

10. lancelot

lancelot Member

I started shooting doves in the late 50's. There have been many improvements in shells over that period of time. When I started modified was the best choke; the boys from 40's and 50's were still shooting fulls. I think they were taking it a step too far even then.

When shot collars came along, I think. you could come down one choke, and I was a pretty, fair, dove shot. We shot at least 2 days a week.

Modified is still a good choke, but Imp. Cyl. will get me a better percentage today. It will kill doves out to 50 yards and leads get too hard to figure after that. We did not use premium shells, couldn't afford them, but the cheapo "dove loads" I had to finish off MANY more birds when shooting 8's than I did with 7 1/2's.

Ron Ireland, Memphis, TN

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

IC with 7 1/2's in the 20 gauge, but always bring your Mod along just in case.

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Just get a tru glo adjustable choke I use one in my beretta auto a joy twist and go in a instant.

Buddy

13. perezal

perezal Member

For opening day I use a modified choke because all the doves fly low in the first two months but after that they start flying high and I switch to a full choke.

14. Garry

Garry Active Member

I hunt doves in a public hunting area that requires steel shot. I shoot a 20ga semi-auto with choke tubes. What size steel shot and choke would you use for these conditions?

15. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Best Dove season I ever had I shot my 1100 20ga 26" fixed choke I/C using Remington 1 oz. 7 1/2`s...

Sportalluring

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Killed more with skeet and a Cutt's Spreader than anything else. Mourning doves are not at all hard to kill. Nines, 8.5s and 8s are ideal in Virginia.

Eventually used nothing but a skeet choked Model 42 with 8.5s.

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

All the above is misinformation! ....There is no correct choke for doves! Whichever choke tube you have in at the time will be the wrong one! Always! (Ha!) Martinpicker

18. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Full, Helpfull when picking a bird off before it crosses in front of your buddy.

19. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Screw in an IC in the bottom and a mod in the top. Use quality trap loads in 8 or 7.5. Good to go.

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Full works. It hits 'em real hard at 20, pretty hard at 40 and hard enough at 60. It's the hit'n part that's the problem. They don't take much killing.

Search tags for this page

adjustable choaks for doves

best choke used for shooting dove

best dove choke

if you had one choke for dove what would it be

light modified choke for dove hunting

modified for doves

should i use improved cylinder or cylinder for dove

what gun should i use or doves