1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for doubles.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

What chokes are most commonly used for doubles? I am using an IM and Full. Averaging a 92 but i didn't know if like a mod and IM would be better.

Thanks

Kyle

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

How about just trying the open chokes and see how you do. This has been discussed over and over and seems it's different for everyone. Some like them tighter than others. Try it.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Wow, 92 average is very good. Anyway I use LM and IM.

Mike C.

4. leadvail

leadvail Member

Lucky, I'll listen to you having an 92 average before I listened to anyone else. Iam going to tighten up for this weekend at the Zone. Bob

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Kyle,

You have the potential to be a great shooter. DO NOT listen to what guys like me use or take much direction from the flock on this forum. No one wants to steer you wrong on purpose but it may still happen. Look at a persons average before considering their opinions.

I believe Leo uses a .017 and a .037 choke combination. He uses 1 oz of 8's on the first shot and a 2 3/4 dr load of 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's for the second. Leo seems to do OK and has been shooting for 40 years. Start there (or close to it) and adjust as you see fit.

If you do not want the hassle of two loads go with the 1 1/8 oz load for both shots. Some great shooters like the KISS approach and do not want to have the thought "did I put the right shell in the right tube?" enter their little pea brain and screw them up just before calling for the pair. If you go with two loads, use a different color hull.

Don Verna

6. team henges

team henges TS Member

i use mod and lt full

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0.015 and 0.030. - 0.035 being "full".

1 oz in the first barrel (8s or 8.5s) and 1 1/8 oz 7.5s in the second.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

.008 and .023. Shoot them fast. HMB

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

.030 and .035. Break them both. SFH

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I shoot a XT with 0.015 first & 0.025 second.

Avg is right @ 93 and when I miss the choke has nothing to do with it.

11. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

How fast do you shoot, and how well do you break your first bird? What Leo shoots may not be appropriate for you.

I use a Perazzi "2" / IC for my first bird, and I can't get any more smoke with a full. . .

You might try patterning your chokes at your estimated distance, and make a decision based on that - I did . . . hence, IC. Wait, don't do that - it may catch on, and then it'll be harder to get all those doubles trophies and HOA and HAA buckles . . . !!!

12. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

How fast do you shoot, and how well do you break your first bird? What Leo shoots may not be appropriate for you.

I use a Perazzi "2" / IC for my first bird, and I can't get any more smoke with a full. . .

You might try patterning your chokes at your estimated distance, and make a decision based on that - I did . . . hence, IC. Wait, don't do that - it may catch on, and then it'll be harder to get all those doubles trophies and HOA and HAA buckles . . . !!!

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are using a good combination of chokes and a change out to something more open probably will not help your scores. That being said, the Mod/IMOD combination is also very effective (my favorite) and still tight enough to smoke both targets. No harm in trying it out is there?

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

.020 and .030

15. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I shoot them relativly fast. I tend to shoot better when i slow down on that second bird. Im just lacking the consistancy part of it. I shot a 98 and then next shoot i shot a 91. I didn't catch anything that i was doing different but I will just have to practice more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the replys,

Kyle

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Damn! Shot some doubles with my AYA Matador with 32" bbls... sucker turned out to be .043/.043

sure turned them inside out! lol

17. TM1

TM1 Member

15&22 I not a ever good shot.

18. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I agree with Mike C LM and IM.

19. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

I shoot LM then LF. In the past I shot SK1 for the first and IM for the second. I seem to have a higher average and shoot more consistant scores now.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't ask me as my Doubles stink but I do use .020 and .030. I seem to remember shooting autoloaders much better!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.