1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for Block shooting/ Fair or Not Fair?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Har3rdus, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Har3rdus

Har3rdus Member

Recently, a local sportsman's club held a block shoot that was open to the Public. There was a good crowd with a few new faces. The block shoot was held as a fund raiser for the club with the going rate of $3.00 per shot for cash and meat prizes. I assume that everyone reading this knows how a block shoot works, and no further explaination will be given. Most of the participants used hunting shotguns, trap guns and few TURKEY guns, but a few of the newbies had SPACE guns. Imagine a single barrel shotgun with a barrel around 36 inches mounted with a Scope and a choke that put alot of BB's on a 4 inch square of paper. Here are my questions for the group. What is the ID (inside diameter) of a Block shooting choke? Have you seen these special chokes advertised and how much? Finally, do you think that these special chokes fall under the category of "Fair Chase" or should I say something at the next Club meeting? The newbies with "SPACE" guns took home many prizes and cash, not all, but many prizes and cash.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Never let the flag touch the ground,

Harry in Pennsylvania.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I used to do the occasional card shoot (and won more than a few) with a Mossberg 500 with older vent rib 30" barrel, a .710" bore and extended chokes with IDs of .640" to .655". These were factory chokes from people like Carlson and Hastings. My favorite was a .645" ported Comp-N-Choke that would regularly put over 150 #8 pellets onto a 4" square card from 23 yards. These chokes are (were) available directly from Carlson, Hasting and C-N-C and cost no more than any of their other chokes of the same style.

The scopes add nothing to the pattern but they add consistency to the aim. I used a rib mounted fiber optic sight system that had an adjustable rear sight.

I've seen any number of purpose built card guns that didn't use chokes at all; they had a barrel (36" usually) that had bores of maybe .660"-.680" right straight through. I never saw that they had an advantage over me because #8 shot is hard to keep in a tight bunch going downrange and I've seen a lot of special guns beaten by stock field guns with maybe 10 pellets on the card.

The last couple card shoots I won were with a Browning XT using the top barrel and a .675" choke for the .740" bore. That was a great combination but I had to hold under the cards several inches because the gun shot so high...not the best for consistency.

Keller

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Our local American Legion Post has these shoots and as a rule will not allow optical sights and all 12 gauge guns must have a dia at the muzzle that will allow a 20ga shell to drop in to the rim as a way to keep the field level for guys using pops old single barrel or full choke goose gun...I have an old Win Model 12 Heavy Duck that is fully legal and nearly rips the board out of the ground

4. kcp99

kcp99 Member

hey CalvinMD
    would you be interrested in selling that old model 12 ? been looking for a good card shoot gun . thanks Kevin

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Your original question was "Fair or Not Fair".

A "fair" card shoot would be one were everybody shot the club's shells out of the club's gun. I see nothing unfair about exploiting every advantage available to you within the rules. While there is most definitely an element of luck involved in card shooting, if the rules put no restrictions on gun construction, advantages can be gained by those who exploit them.

Since the same opportunity to do that is available to most everyone, the advantage goes to the guys that are most willing to take advantage of it...just as in trap.

I remember the adage..."If you show up expecting a "fair" fight, you're not prepared to win it."

Keller

6. CalvinMD

No thanks Kevin..it was my dads and has lots of good memories

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Clubs around here limit barrel lengths to 32" and require the use of the club's shells. Beyond that, there are no rules and I kind of like the creativity that encourages. I use an 870 Competition and if I win something at a block shoot, it's due to nothing but blind $hithouse luck.

Ed

8. CalvinMD

I saw that they caught a guy mopping his barrel between rounds with STP to glue the shot together...all that for a ham

9. MR870

MR870 Member

I went to a turkey shoot years ago at the Volunteer Fire Dept. One redneck had a sleeve gun for card shooting.When I picked it up to shoot a target with it he told me right quick that nobody but him was going to shoot his gun.I said thats not the way it works,you can use anybody's gun to compete for a fair advantage.He still said no.He had already won several rounds and was being a dick.So i went to my truck and retrieved 2 boxes of factory looking reloads and my single barrel Montgomery Ward shotgun.The reloads had been loaded for quail to shoot through a double gun.They were were loaded with a felt wad.I gave the shells to the mgr with my gun and winked.I told him my gun and those shells will knock a hole in the board.3 rounds later after getting beat,the guy left.The mgr gave me my gun and shells back.He told me thanks for knocking the wind out of Mr Stingy.I don't mind competing on a level playing field but sometimes you have to play hardball.Getting the guy out gave a bunch of kids a chance to shoot and possibly win prizes.The smile on a few kids face that won was worth it to cheat Mr Stingy,the Card Shooting Master.

10. badeye

badeye TS Member

I have been a card shooter for 30 years and it is more of a game than a fair sport if you go to a volunteer Fire Department shoot. What I do know is depending on where you live, there will always be a sleeper built gun competing with the stock hunting guns. Here in Missouri most Shoots I go to are Bull Barrel 1-1/4" O.D. and 40" limit on barrel length. Scopes and bipods are usually allowed. Usually .675 choke restriction or none at the ones considered total Outlaw. Total Outlaw matches are usually shot at 50-52' verses about 60' for the .675 restricted shoots. It probably seems odd but it truly is just gambling with shotguns. The objective is to blow a quarter size hole to take a 5/8" chigger out with two shots. This hobby is also well known in S.C.-N.C.-Pa.- Oh.-In. Look at Turkeyshoot.net for more info.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rules tell you what you're not allowed to do, not what you're allowed to.

The smart ones take full advantage of the rules as they are written, teetering right on the edge, but never actually breaking them. If you aren't using every possible advantage you can think of, you put yourself at a marked disadvantage to those who do.

If there are no ground rules, anything goes.

Kinda like showing up to a 1000yd competition with your deer rifle and expecting everyone else to be playing on the same level, and complaining because someone else brought better equipment than you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

block shoot shotgun barrel

card shooting chokes

competition card chokes

mossberg 500 card shooting barrels

mossberg 500 turkey shoot barrels

outlaw shotgun barrels and chokes

shotgun block shooting

what is a block shoot