1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes for 16 yard?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Now that I understand that most targets are shot at under 35 yards for 16 yard trap, it seems I should be using a more open choke than the Improved Modified my gun came with. What choke should I be using?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The improved modified your gun came with unless it's an original Browning Invector, in which case you will have to replace it with an aftermarket improved modified of any make.

Neil

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Neil said.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Your gun came with the RIGHT choke! Problem is, it may NOT really be an Improved Modified! Have it checked!

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Questor....Mike, above, is right on the money. You would do well to heed his statements. I shoot a .034" choke for singles and handicap and it works great. My doubles gun is choked .020" and .032". I prefer to get all the choke I can get to smoke the targets from anywhere on the pad.... Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Questor

Questor TS Member

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll take up the topic with my coach at the patterning board and see what he says. Thanks!

7. newark sportsman

newark sportsman TS Member

.25 for 16-27 yrd. singles

.15 for first shot and.25 for second on doubles.

Thats all you`ll ever need.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Questor

If there was any quuestion as to the quality of the advice you're getting:

Neil Winston - Current singles average 97.25

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The best choke depends on too many unknown factors to make any sort of accurate recommendation here.
    You CAN use anything from Light Modified to Extra Full, depending.

You'll have to figure out which is best for yourself. The only thing you'll get from this forum is our own personal preferences, and they vary from person to person.

10. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

My best averages came with Briley extended full choke in invector plus barrel. I shot singles & caps whole season with one choke, made me a better shooter, I felt handicapped after that with anything less than full. ran 100 in caps at Bama State Shoot with Full Choke BT 99. I think that if you concentrate on aiming your shot-gun instead of pointing it & use full choke on everything you will better your self. my .02 worth

Showdawg

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My 2 Cents: It is not only the choke that determines the pattern, but the formula for the load...type of powder, primer, wad, quality of shot, etc. As a rule of thumb, faster burning powders give less dense patterns and vice versa.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Questor, I'm going to add to some of the advice you got here. Throw your Browning chokes away. Don't bother to shoot all of the to see if they hit the same spot, or pattern well, or evenly. They suck. You are never going to need more than two chokes, three if you shoot doubles and become adept at it. So it won't cost much to replace your Browning chokes.

If you stick with Briley or Wrights or a few other highly regarded chokes, you'll get chokes that all shoot to the same POI and pattern well. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

The first one to buy is an IM. Somewhere around .024/.025 constriction. That will put about 85+% of the pellets in a 30" circle at singles ranges. That's what you want. Plus it will work well for handicap at least back to the 22.

Once you hit the 23 you'll probably want to go with a F .034/.035. For the first shot at doubles, a LM .015/.016 if you are fast, or a M .020 if not.

So that gives you LM and IM for doubles if you are quick with both shots, IM for singles and short yardage handicap, and F for long yardage handicap.

If you are slower than quick on doubles, use M and IM or F.

When in doubt, use more choke, not less. However, bear in mind that some of the people recommending Full chokes for singles are very, very good shots. That means they point well, and their pointing margin for error is quite small. So a really tight pattern is not the drawback for them as it will be for someone less proficient. A good IM choke with good shell will generate smoke on any singles shot, and still give you a little more margin for error. Not much more, but even an inch or two is a help if you are not AA.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Chango2

I tend to agree with your first sentence, but you also said,

"As a rule of thumb, faster burning powders give less dense patterns and vice versa."

I have never heard this. Have you tested this theory by patterning, or is this just what you think is going on?

14. pdq

pdq Member

Earlier this year I bought a Silver Seitz and sent the barrel to Tom Wilkinson to be fitted with choke tubes. He recommends .020 for the 16 yard line and then tighter as you move back, using a .035 from the 27 yard line.

I practice with the .035 from the 16 yard line, but compete with the .020.

I look at the gun as a tool, and if you were to look in my garage you'd find different sized hammers, screwdrivers, etc. Pick the best one for the job at hand. I know that a lot of people pride themselves on inkballing shots with a full choke gun from the 16, but when shooting registered targets I've never heard of anyone getting bonus points for their inkballs.

Just the opinion of one guys who's trying to get better.

Oete

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Inkballs don't count extra.

But, you'll have a heckuva time convincing anyone who has actually patterned to any conclusive degree, that a more open choke gives you a bigger pattern or enough pattern density along the fringes that will get you even one target out of 100 that a tighter choke wouldn't have.

And given that virtually all the good shooters, to a man (or woman) shoot with tight chokes, that's proof enough for me.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I look at it like this: In 2002 and 2003, I averaged 97% shooting 3000 singles each year, shooting a 90T with a .036" choke. I switched to a MX-15, with choke tubes, in 2004. Shot it with the .020" or the .025" tube in it for singles in 2004 and 2005. My average for both those years dropped to .95% shooting 3000 targets each year. Switched to a DB-81 with a fixed .034" choke in 2006. My average is back up to 97% for those 2 seasons shooting 3000 targets each year. My target breaks are now much harder and better with the full choke than they ever were with the more open chokes. That's the only type of results that matter to me. If I shoot better scores with the tighter chokes, those are the ones I'm going to use..... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm a relatively new shooter, when I first started I shot a Mod. choke, all I cared about was winning little league shoots & not becoming a better shooter. I even went to a LM choke, lots of chips but had no idea what I was doing--Six months ago went to IM & LF, my scores have gone up dramatically as Neil & Dan said-either its smoke or zilch--won a club championship & have won several events since going tighter-as my Jewish grand mother said try it couldn't hurt---Phil

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hoosier......Shooting your first shot in doubles with a more open choke is sometimes desireable due to the fact that you know, EXACTLY, where that first target is going to be so you set up for that shot and you shoot it much faster and right out of the house letting your pattern do its job. An open choke has its place if used in the correct application. Remember, the more open a choke is, the faster the pattern dissapates and goes to heck. When shooting regular singles, you don't take any of your singles targets that quickly. Your singles target is more than likely taken 5-8 yards farther out than your first doubles target is, or more. The second target is another story, however. That's why I shoot a .032" for that second shot. I want as much of my pattern density on that target when I take the shot as I can get......Dan

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Don't listen to the choke salesman, shoot a tight choke. My 3200 is fixed .40 over.40 .Improved to full will do it all.
    Leo Harrison says any choke is fine as long as it's full.

Shannon Mayes

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dan...could be that the MX-15 just didn't fit you as well as the other two...but who's quibbling? I agree with you on the choke issue.

BTW, guys, take my advice for what its worth.

My average over 2005, 2006, and 2007 is just above 95% in singles, so I'm no Neil Winston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16 yard choke

16 yard trap choke

16 yard what choke

choke for 16 yard trap

est choke for 16 yard trap
modified choke for 16 yard trap
modified choke for 16 yd trap

what choke for 16 yard trap