1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Chokes and Shells for Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Going to start shooting doubles again this fall after a very long time and wondered what guys are using these days. In days gone by I used an 1100 but these days don't want the hassle of gas in my face or empties flying all over so... I purchased a set of O/U barrels for my K80 and have several choke tubes to pick from, ranging from IC up to X-Full. I intend to use my singles load for the 1st shot, which is a 1oz of #8 recipe. I'm thinking a normal light 8 load with 1 and 1/8oz would be fine for the second barrel. My question is really what chokes will be the most useful. I know I will have to just try them for myself but hearing what others use is always a good way to get started!

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

There are a bunch of 'if' & 'depending' & ... & ... but a good place to start is .010 or .015 & .020 or .025, IC/LM & M/IM.

BTW, an ounce of 8s is pretty good medicine for your 2nd bird, too, and will simplify your reloading life.

Bob

3. team henges

team henges TS Member

I just shoot one load both shots and it is a remington sts hull, remington primer, figure 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz of #8 and 21 grains of winchester super target. I shoot a xt with 32 in barrels and shoot a modified my 1st shot and light full the second.

brendan

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Some good advice mentioned above. I am not a world class doubles shooter, but I shoot 1oz. 8's for first bird and Light 1 1/8oz. 8's for second bird. Chokes are personal preference, but I like .015-.020 for first and .025-.030 for second. I would shoot tighter on 1st shot, but I tend to admire the smoke and not move.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm the same as Woodson

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

7/8 oz. of 8.5s with ImpCyl choke for 1st shot; 1 oz. of 8s with ImpMod for 2nd shot. I am closing in on winning state records with these. Regards, Ed

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will be fine using the loads you mentioned. Open choke for the first shot and a tighter choke for the second shot.

Now here is the important stuff. The POI of the second barrel is the most important thing to get right. Since you have a K-80, the POI of the lower barrel is adjustable. If you shoot the top barrel for the first shot and use the bottom barrel for the second shot you can adjust the POI by changing the front barrel hanger.

You probably will need to use a # 7 hanger which will give your gun a POI that is suited for shooting a flat or dropping target. But that will all depend on your style and speed in shooting the targets. HMB

8. John55

John55 Active Member

I patterned the barrels today with the loads I intend to start off with. Wanted to check the POI more than see how good/bad the patterns were. The bottom barrel POI is what I would call 100%...meaning the very bottom of the pattern is right at the aiming point. The top barrel is more like 90%. For this I shot the bottom barrel at 25yds and the top at 35yds to roughly simulate the distances for the two birds. It has an adjustable rib which is set to make the impacts as high as possible, and obviously I can lower the top barrel's POI by changing that. But when I do this the lower barrel's POI will come down as well, and I think it's about where I want it right now.

Edit...It has a #3 hanger in place, so once I get the top barrel where I want it I'll address the hanger issue, if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.