1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lugerville, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

I don't shoot good, but I sure thought something was going on. The boys at the club were nice enough to mic my barrel and suprisingly found out it is choked at 58(thosandth) (I know I wrote that wrong), but you get the idea. The question of the day is did original Winchesters come that way, or did someone have it done that way?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Wow, that is tight. That must have been a custom order. Most of the older trap fixed choke barrels that I have read about or seen were choked 40 to 44 thou. Bill Malcolm

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The boys at the club - did they mic both the choke and the barrel? And did they do it twice? It seems like a lot of choke to me.

Neil

4. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

Thanks Neil, They did mic the barrel, they said standard .730 I beleive, The guys that did it are very knowledgeable, and there was a lot of strange looks so there were plenty of witnesses to double check with. They did it at least 10 times. They said plastic residue could add a little, but my barrel gets cleaned after each day. Its off to the gunsmith today for either opening up or tube instalation. But I do have to say, WHEN I did hit targets there wasnt a lot left!

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Did you pattern it to see if it has a really tight pattern, as one would expect with that much choke?

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you are satisfied where it shoots - right/left and up/down - you might want to wait a bit before letting anyone touch the choke, Lugerville. There's always a danger that the POI will be adversely effected.

You've only known this for a night, after all. Maybe a bit of experimentation to see if it shoots well no matter what the choke constriction would not delay you much and might save you a lot of recrimination.

Neil

7. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

Neil & Tim99, I've been shooting it since about June. I'm not good but I enjoy shooting. I probably can get 90/100. It just seems there is ZERO margin of error. I patterned it and at about 33yds to the paper it looked really tight, go back a little farther and it gets erratic, probably from overchoking is what I understand. I really don't want a big investment as I'm not shooting in competition, just maybe a few more targets.

8. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

Yoda, Just got back from Gunsmith, 58 thousandth was correct. He said that it was probably specially done with that restriction for pigeons? I think I'm going to have it made into a light full and call it good.