1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KRE, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRE

KRE TS Member

Top choke is 0.687 bottom is 0.706 What chokes does it have, as it seem to shoot very tight?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

What's the backbore of the barrels? Just subtract the backbore from the muzzle/choke measurements to get the amount of restrictriction.

Make sure to get your bore measurements from at least 6" from the muzzle. There are some older guns out there that have been "Jug" choked.

ss

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If the bores about 0.727, the top is 0.040 (tight, as you say) and the bottom is about 0.21 which is modified and not very tight at all.

If the bores are not 0.727 but say 0.729, the the constrictions are 0.002 more. And so on.

Neil

4. KRE

KRE TS Member

Starrett at 6" back from the muzzle, 0.726

With those numbers are we talking Mod an Full?

Thanks in advance
    Kenneth

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

If a dime won't go into the end of the barrel (like your top barrel), it's full or more likely very full. AJ

6. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

The old dime trick...hahahah. Haven't heard that in many years. Choke relates constriction compared to bore size, not exit diameter.

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

True, but if it's that small it will be tight, unless anyone ever made a bore smaller than .0720, or it's a 20 gauge. AJ

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Yes, KRE, with a 0.726 bore your chokes are 0.039 (full by any standard) and 0.020 (modified by classical standards) but may well shoot, with today's ammo, nearly like full, that is, nearly 70% patterns at 40 yards.

Neil

9. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Texshooter

I'm with you, a VERY GOOD indicator if you don't happen to carry your mikes in you wallet pocket out traveling, and to shoots when one might just encounter a gun you are interested in. Constriction measurement is the most exact way to determine choking, however if you jug choke a gun or enlarge the bore before the shot gets to the choke then you have increased the amount of constriction. Unless some well meaning smithy has swaged the barrel down behind the choke, then the quick dime check is a valid way to do a non-scientific check on a 12 ga. to see if a barrel marked full or improved Mod. has been opened up. You just don't have the exact amount in thousands.

10. KRE

KRE TS Member

Mr. Winston
    The reason for the question is I've never owned a Trap gun that shot quite like this one. I've always just shot them, an brought myself to the gun.
    With 8's an std AA wads in the bottom barrel it just smokes them to the 22 yd then perfect star bursts to the 25. The top barrel will just make the bird disappear at anything below 22 yds when it and I are having a good day.

Thanks for clearing it up, for me.

Kenneth