1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

I was looking at carlton choke tube chart. i see different guns have different sizes for the same name like ic-m-f . one may list a lm as the same size as another f . if this is true does that mean all mod shoot the same patern or does it mean all .725 "s shoot the same patern? if it goes by mesurement like i think it would be, then when your budy puts in a mod. tube on his browning , you may be puting in a skeet in your breata , or something like that. any idea?

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

My experience has been that the bore guage from Mr. Bulley on this forum is a valuable tool to determine what you really DO have in the gun for a choke.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ultimately what you want to know is the amount of constriction. This is expressed as the bore diameter minus the mimimum diameter of the choke. A choke that has 0.040" of constriction (or more) is usually considered full.

The best way to determine actual performance is the dreaded pattern testing - time consumining and boring but usefull.

4. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

It also has to do with bore. one gun may have tighter bore and need less constrictive choke. Like a .700 bore and .725 choke could be considered light full when a .710 bore and a .725 choke may be considered light modified. Not the best explanation or even an accurate one but hopefully it illustrates the topic.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Windy,

Both of your examples are no choke constriction. The choke has to be smaller than the bore to have choke. HMB

6. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Yeah i get stuff flip flopped alot. .725 bore .710 choke :)

7. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Woops. Yeah that ain't good. Ok .725 bore and .700 choke and .725 bore and .710 choke.

Thanks HMB. Never talk on the phone and type at the same time.

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Here is some info I posted on another thread relating to how Kolar labels their chokes. I don't think their system is substantially different from anyone else's.

---------------------

The numbers on Kolar chokes refer to the amount of constriction (in thousandths of an inch) compared to the nominal bore of the the barrel. Thus a # 20 choke on a .750 bore has a choke diameter of .730.

Kolar labels their chokes as follows:

15 - Lt. Modified

20 - Modified

25 - Improved Modified

30 - Light full

35 - Full

--------------------

Ted K.