1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke X Yards = ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Where do you change? Let's say you shoot an Impoved Modified choke from the 16 yard line...at what yardage do you change over to FULL or LIGHT FULL? Jack

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Put your full or extra full in for singles and then don't worry about it.

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Why handi cap yourself with a full or extra full at the 16. With todays ammo, wad choices, powder types,, who the heck needs a full choke at the 16. My experience is you can change shells and use the same choke as you back up. trial and error will tell you when to change chokes when you back up. You'll see your breaks change (bigger pieces, no dust in the middle)then its time to tighten up. You can roll 22 or 23 smoke balls all you want, but I would rather break 25 than to smoke 23. I have a red dot wind jammer load that crushes a target at the 16 with a mod. and a green dot rxp 12 load that has the same break with the same Mod choke at the 23 & 24. Alot of pieces and dust in the middle. What more do you want? Funny thing is if I use a factory STS 1200 I have to tighten up to IM or LF to get the same break at the 23 & 24. Take the time to answer your question by shooting and backing up. Grab a box and shoot a few at each line as you back up. You'll see the breaks change. Spin out the choke and try the next tighter. Every gun, shell and choke like different things, if you don't recognize that then your not getting the most out of your scores.JMO

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Use whatever choke ya want, as long as it is Full.

GneJ

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

For the loads I'm using with my gun, it's IM to the 27, then full after that. I increase the velocity of my loads as I move back, and just keep the same constriction. All that changes at the fence.

Wayne

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There is no set rule. Every shooter, every gun, and choke combo is different.

If you want to make sure your choke is tight enough to break every target, shoot full choke at everything.

Depends how fast/slow/consistant you are.

7. Martinpicker

Thanks for your opinions folks. I always appreciate them. Jack

8. porky

porky TS Member

I always tell folks to shoot their choke that has the best pattern and the tightest pattern. Sometimes your full doesn't have a pattern as nice as the improved modify or even the modified.

9. johnpe

johnpe Member

There is so little difference in the chokes mentioned that it really doesn't make much difference. However, the tighter the choke the more pellets are in the center of the pattern. That's why all of the good trapshooters only use a full choke. Why take a chance of a target getting through a hole in the pattern.

Johnpe

10. 3357

3357 Member

I use a fixed .035 for everything. works for me.

11. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

I have 3 different chokes 19 28 and 35. It seems that 35 shoots best to me because it hits the target harder,therefore I feel that when you see more smoke it fuels the mental side of the game and I shoot better score. Some may see this a way on handicaping yourself. I just want to shoot well and create all the smoke I can . If you know you have to shoot well and stay in the gun when you are shooting a tighter choke you will answer the call if you are mentally in the game.

An old friend would always say they only make 1 choke it all full

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Back in the days before removable chokes, what was the choke that most trap barrels had from the factory? I still think that a fixed full choke barrel is the best barrel you can have, for trap.

Give me a 90-T with a factory .033 constriction and you will see nothing but dust back to the fence, if I hit them.

13. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Stl...in my case that is a HUGE if!!!!! :D

Scott

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Good question,I've wondered the same,and have used full most times.NOW,what about what choke also depending on wt.,,I.E. IM for 1 1/8 oz. load,but maybe a LF at same yardage for 1 oz. ,and Full for 7/8 at same yardage.Not trying to high jack thread,but let's face it,if you consider all variables it sure could keep one busy testing all of them.I'm still learning to shoot,so I think the better shooters on here should test it out for us and let us know. Mean while,I'll stay with full most of the time.

Doug H.

15. Martinpicker

Good point ,dhip. I am presently shooting light (2&3/4 dram charge) eights from the 16 yard line. When I back up to 22 yards I switch to a full choke and 3 dram 7.5 loads. What do you guys do? Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.