1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Choke work for field gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MtnGun, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Do you guys use the same guys on your field guns, that you do for Trap gun choke work? My Pheasant gun needs its left barrel opened up.

2. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Yep, but this is my Pheasant gun. It's choked too tightly in left barrel. Almost .050". Like to get it opened up to .032" or so.

3. superxlou

superxlou Member

Send it to Wright's Inc they will fix you up.

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

The biggest fear I have with monkeying around with the fixed chokes in SxS guns is that the barrel convergence and POI will be altered.

I have a Beretta 626 that is choked IC/M but throws closer to M/F. I have resisted the urge to mess with it and instead just opt for shooting the close birds in the head.

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Suggest U give Steve Baldwin, Mech Accuracy,Jones OK 405-399-2875
    a call. He did some choke and POI work for me on SS. Both
    barrels now shoot same POI.

Doyal Duncan

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You might try just loading up some old school shells. Load some old fibre wad coulmn made with your favorite hunting load. You may find that it opens up enough with just using the old wads your gun was designed for that it shoots a good full choke pattern instead of being to tite to shoot at all but the farthest birds.

This is all assuming that you have already shot patterns and know that you have a problem. Jeff

7. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

I've patterned it, and am certain the left is overchoked with the 5s i like to use.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I bought an adjustable blade reamer used for choke work and do the job myself. HMB

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Try a few loads with card wads. It bight be a whole lot easier then having a choke reamed and the impact re-regulated on a sxs double. You might be suprised at how open a load of chilled shot and card wads will be at 40 yards. You could even try some of the spreader wads.

An overchoke situation at 40 yards is one thing. If you are talking about shooting pen roosters over a pointer there is no load combo that will make up for a choke that tite as your birds will be close.

If it's tite at 40 yards shooting wild birds you might just manipulate your handloads a little.

If you decide to spend the money to have the choke reamed then do it right and have a known person who knows how to regulate the impact do the job. An open pattern that shoots 18 inches low at 30 yards won't do you much good. I have seen a lot of " gunsmiths" buy a reamer and start doing choke work.

It's like getting a pretty good heart surgeon.

Some things you really want the best. Good luck and a really good guy may make putting briley thin walls in both barrels look like a pretty good option. They will make sure the barrels stay regulated as part of the price. They did a set for me on an old Browning SXS and the impacts were perfect. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.