1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tubes or no Choke tubes ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gjmen, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I was wondering the opinions of the shooters out there and their preference of barrels with and without removable choke tubes. What do do you prefer and why? I realize the adjustability of a gun with changable chokes; however, shooting trap, this doesnt seem to be as big of a concern as shooting sporting clays where chokes are defenatly needed. Can you acheive better patterns with a barrel with built in chokes? Thanks, gjmen

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

only down side to fixed is you cant change it. If I where to go fixed it would be full.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a 65 year old shooter who thought a full choke barrel was that and a bag of chips but I now prefer tubes. I am sold

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Strictly for Trap--fixed Full--for singles and Handicap.

Trap-4

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Full for 16's and 'caps (Ljutic)...Imp. Mod. and Full for doubles (Browning Superposed).....have never considered having either gun fitted with tubes...don't wanna mess with perfection!!LOL

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer a fixed choke barrel for shooting trap. I shoot .035" for both singles and doubles, and my O/U barrels are choked .020"/.032". I just don't like to mess with the choke tubes all the time. Trying to keep them tight, keep the threads clean, and constantly checking to make sure the right tube is in the gun just took too much time and energy. Now, I never worry about what choke I have in the gun....... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Erik W

Erik W Member

Here is another vote for screw-ins. Factory fixed are probably OK if you are shooting factory loads or a hand load you have settled on and stick by forever. On the other hand, I think it is nice to be able experiment with the choke tubes when you experiment with loads. I have been using some older 1 1/8 AA wads with 7/8 oz of shot and some filler to good effect with a tighter Krieghoff tube than I used for 16 or handicap. It also is nice to be able to use a slightly more open choke on "off" days.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Back in 1989 I bought a Beretta 682X single barrel trap with a full choke barrel. Not too long after that the general consensus was that choke tubes were the "answer". Sent the barrel to Briley and had it "tubed". 3 choke tubes were supplied to me at the time. (Full-Imp. Mod.-Mod). Guess what? Left the full choke tube in the gun for 15 years until I gave the gun to my son!! (Smart huh??) Don't get me wrong. There is a place for choke tubes. (Sporting clays is a good example). I just feel trap is not the clay target game that will benefit someone with this option. (In most cases)!! All it does is add confusion to a game that is already a "mind game". Tell someone with a full choke Model 12, that he/she needs to have choke tubes!! They in most cases will not care about their handicap of not having the beloved tubes. I will concede that a shooter that uses one gun for all the clay target disciplines, (trap, skeet and sporting clays), does need the choke tubes. JMHO. Ed

9. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Tubes, if you know how to use them. If you don't, don't.

10. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Just my 2 cents. All the big dogs I know shoot Fixed chokes. Don't know if it makes any difference. These guys probably could beat me with a slingshot, but when they choose, they choose fixed chokes. I shot my 2 best Sporting clays scores with a old 32 m/f.

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Liquor is made to sell not drink!!!

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you only have one gun, fixed. If more than one, you might as well have tubes in the second, if only to see if they actually ever do get you that elusive "one target" you might have missed with a full. I doubt it will, but everyone has to find out for him or herself. As I did.

Neil

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The one time I can see choke tubes are near necessary is when you're using one gun to handle all or many disciplines. Even when I shoot sporting, I rarely change chokes but it would be different pair of chokes if I slipped over to the skeet range with the same gun and different again if shooting Trap doubles. If I were to shoot just trap, I'd have fixed chokes.....Bob Dodd

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to the popular belief that fixed chokes patterned better, but I then learned a few things about chokes. How a choke is marked is not a sure-fire indicator of how it will pattern in your gun with your loads and chokes of different brands with the same constriction do not pattern the same because of how they are machined. Basically, changing choke brands can affect your gun's patterns like changing the powder charge in your rifle's ammo can affect how it groups. And if you try a choke tube that doesn't work, you are only out the cost of the tube (which likely can be sold to another shooter) and nothing permanent has been done to your barrel. Accordingly, I prefer tubes.

Ed

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I started with fixed chokes and loved the patterns I got. I moved to choke tubes because that was the only way the manufacturer of the combo I bought sold the gun. Factory tubes and patterns of same were hideous. After market tubes were a lot better, but not stellar. Moved to a gun with Wilkinson barrel work and Wilkinson modified factory tubes. Awesome, but not as good as fixed choke Wilkinson barrels my buddies had. Moved to fixed choke factory Perazzi barrels. Excellent to awesome patterns from unmodified barrels. Moved to higher ribbed Perazzi barrels. Patterns OK, but definitely not awesome. They will see a barrel smith to correct.

For ATA trap or bunker, I'm sold on fixed chokes.

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Any fixed choke can be duplicated with screw chokes, just common machnist sense , as for the big dogs they have extra barrel's. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.