1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tubes Or No Choke Tubes.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I know someone who is thinking about buying a new gun.

He has a choice of choke tubes or no tubes.

What would you do?

I know most high end shotguns come with tubes, but this guy isn't so sure he wants to mess with them, since the gun he has now does have the tubes and he shoots everything with a full choke tube.

So why or why not should he get them?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You just explained your answer for him. If he plans on selling however, he will get less interest in the gun. Fixed full helps the mind game. It is the only choke you will ever need to consistently break targets. Plus you don't have the extra maintenance of cleaning, and lubing the choke tubes. Or, the loosening, and locking in tight problems.

If you take a barrel that has a fixed choke, usually that whole barrel is tuned to that one choke. Think of the rounds of straights, that where shot with fixed full barrels, before choke tubes, back boring, porting, adjustable combs, pads, ribs, un-single barrels, and custom fit stocks, came about.

Back then this sport was less of a mind game. With the addition of all of the adjustments mentioned above, it has made this sport more difficult for most, because the only way to gain confidence is to change something, instead of just shooting the damn birds, IMO. Not to mention the reloading, or color of lenses, or different backgrounds, etc., aspects.

Personally I think that if you have been in the shooting sports for a while, 99-100 percent of the misses, are from lack of concentration needed to hit the target. Confidence helps to get to that point. The problem is when confidence is lingering, concentration follows.

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

If he is just going to shoot trap, fixed full is the way to go, if he will shoot sporting clays or skeet, also then I would go to choke tubes.

Trap-4

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to subscribe to the old "fixed chokes pattern better" theory until I noticed the poor souls on my squads who had those inferior choke tubes were hammering targets as well as anyone. Then I bought a KX-5 in 2002. Boy, did I ever wish it could be had with a fixed choke!

It didn't take long to realize that if I wanted to experiment with different constrictions, parallels or choke lengths, the worst thing that could happen would be $50 or so invested in a choke tube I didn't like and could even resell. Try that with a fixed choke and negative results are irreversible.

Those who say one choke does it all are right. But which "one choke" does it best? With choke tubes, finding out is easy and risk-free. Now I wouldn't buy a new target shotgun without them.

Ed

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Here are some pros and cons:

Fixed chokes:

1. The simplest, no fuss, no worry approach.
    2. Maintenance minimal; clean them when you feel guilty. Well, at least once a month. . . And definitely before a tournament.
    3. No worries about a choke tube loosening (or whatever), then shooting out and causing permanent barrel damage. Or getting stuck in the barrel, preventing a needed change.
    4. No additional expense of buying choke tubes.
    5. No choke tubes to keep track of or forget to pack.
    6. No simple way to fine tune – and $$$ to have a barrel man do his magic. A tune-up optimization done with one brand of shells should work well enough for most quality shells (but test to be sure).
    7. Can be damaged accidently, requiring a barrelmaster to repair, if repairable.
    8. Subtle balance adjustments can only be done by adding weights to gun.

Choke Tubes:

1. Practically an infinite number of pattern quality adjustment/changes possible. Many different brands, types, weights and styles to select from. Different brands of shells or component combinations likely can be optimized using different brands and dimensions of choke tubes.
    2. Give ability to subtly fine-tune the gun's balance and smoothness vs. speed to the target by selection of choke type: Extended or flush, standard vs. titanium weight (Examples: 2 regular steel flush chokes, weigh about 1.3 oz (36.5 grams). Titanium is noticibly even lighter. 2 extended chokes weigh about 3 oz (83 grams).
    3. Instant ability to adjust patterns for altitude, temperatures, field conditions, target hardness and different shells. Plus, makes gun very usable for occasional use in other disciplines, as sporting clays or skeet.
    4. If damaged, easy and economical to replace. No $$$ barrelmaster service needed.
    5. Can quickly and easily go tighter for training purposes.
    6. More maintenance and care needed.
    7. Constant need to confirm tightness in the barrel, some brands better than others.
    8. Probably need cleaning more than fixed. On the other hand, it's easy and quite fast to pop a clean one in.
    9. They are an additional expense and hassle.

As you can see, there are good reasons both pro and con for fixed chokes vs. choke tubes when it's time to choose chokes for your next bunker gun. For bunker use only and for the majority of non-seriously competitive shooters, the simplest, no fuss, no worry path is fixed chokes. The Perazzi recommendations of 28 and 40 thou (0.7 and 1.0 mm or Perazzi #7 and #10) choking are excellent ones and leave the shooter with the future option to optimize.

- - Bill

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm a tubes guy all the way....I use extendeds and never worry about damaging my expensive barrels muzzle end

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Good point, Calvin.

Bill, why would choke tubes require cleaning more frequently than fixed chokes? I would be ashamed to tell you how long it has been since I removed my tubes for cleaning. In three passes, a Bore Snake cleans them right up!

Every so often, I do loosen them a little and retighten them just so they can't become frozen in the barrel but since I coat their threads with anti-seize, that probably isn't necessary.

Ed

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, lots of great ideas here.

Thanks for taking the time to help me, er, I mean my friend out. ;-)

Hauxfan!

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

To me buying a new gun without screw ins is like buying a new car without an air conditioner. New technology is a good thing. If you don't want to change the choke don't. But it is nice to have the option.

Darr

10. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

If he is a 16-yard guy, IMP MOD probably would do the trick for him... wish I had never sold my NIKKO!!!!
    ///olde pharte///

Search tags for this page

an infinite choke tube