1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tubes loosening...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I'm useing Briely extended choke tubes, of sveral different constrictions, in 2 different single barrels. I've used degreaser to clean both sets of threads but by the time I get done with 5 shots from a station I need to screw them back in. Sometimes the tubes will rotate 1/8" or more to get tight.

Any suggestons? Add a drop of "locktight" and let it harden? Rough up the threads a little? Use a wrench (I've tried that!). It's a distraction I'd like to get rid of.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thread tape works. Just do one revolution with the thread tape and it shoukd do it. My Brileys do the same thing. I just tighten them as I'm moving to the next post.

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Don't clean the threads so thoroughly. Take the chokes out and wipe them down, put a little lube on and reinstall. A bit of oil to keep them from seizing, a bit of grit to hold them tight. One of my friends used to shoot a couple shells with-out chokes installed if his chokes started loosening. I asked him about possible damage to the threads? He said "the treads are made from the same steel as the barrel aint it?"

Michael

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Id just get some very thick anti seize compound like Never Seize..its so thick and holds up to heat that the choke will stay put but you'll be able to remove it if necessary..Loctite would be a real no no unless you really never want to remove it

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Calvin,

The only bad thing about anti-seize is it's messy as hell. That stuff has a way of getting on everything. Once it gets hot it will be oozing out. At least that's my experience with the silver colored stuff. If they have some that's not so messy then the results may be different.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I agree..its a bit messy ..I use Starbrite Marine Anti Seize grease..about the consistancy and color of thick cold vaseline..doesnt stain either which is nice

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

lucas red and tacky. chokes won't lock and chokes won't loosen

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Try using a choke tube wrench instead of just hand tightening. Many times just that alone will work.

9. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

I also had the same trouble with my thin wall extended tubes, I talked to the people from Breily at the Grand in Sparta, they gave me a little container of some blue lube called breily unilube, I thought ya, they told me to put it on completley over the tube, again I thought ya right, anyway I did, and it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.