1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke tubes hit by shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tbobaa, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

I was shooting 16 s this weekend and was hit two times once on the cheek once corner of the eye from a young friend of mine shooting beside me.He had a new extended choke tube thats twisted and slotted from a well known manufacture.The next day another guy was hit twice.I was just wondering if anybody else has had any problems with chokes that have holes or are slotted throwing shot out the side or how often this happens?

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

If it was my choke tube, it would go straight to the trash.

3. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Is it a briley helix cause they'll do that and crack.

4. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

They are sending them back

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I doubt its shot, its probably pieces of the wad, or carbon buildup coming off.

6. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

Aulovel5 yes it was

7. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

skeet man could have been never thought of that but whatever it was it hard enough to put a eye out sure felt like a little piece of shot

8. 548

548 Guest

Ported barrels occasionally will "self clean"

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I recently had a reader tell me he was hit by shot pellets from another shooter's gun while shooting skeet and it was believed that the errand shot escaped from the barrel ports. I said I didn't think that could happen but other skeet shooters replied that it does happen. Long story short, the shot was found to be bouncing back from the targets! Really!

I still scratch my head over that but several people tell me it happens. Perhaps some of the skeeters on here will comment on that.

Ed

10. AveragEd

I recently had a reader tell me he was hit by shot pellets from another shooter's gun while shooting skeet and it was believed that the errand shot escaped from the barrel ports. I said I didn't think that could happen but other skeet shooters replied that it does happen. Long story short, the shot was found to be bouncing back from the targets! Really!

I still scratch my head over that but several people tell me it happens. Perhaps some of the skeeters on here will comment on that.

Ed

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One time, at the Grand in Vandalia when the U.S. Army Marksmanship team was putting on a demonstration for the evening's entertainment, I and my young daughter were in the Grandstand when I suddenly felt a sharp sting in my neck. My first thought was a bee but when I felt it I could feel something hard and sharp. I dug out a piece of well deformed shot that had stuck in my neck but never drew blood! It looked like it might have started as a # 8 pellet but that is only my feeling since it might have broken off a piece from a # 7½.

So yes it is indeed possible for shot to ricochet right back at you. I even went down to the shooting team and told them about it and gave them the piece of shot. They didn't seem concerned but my thought was ehat if it hit my daughter, who did not wear glasses, in the eye! We were about halfway up the bleachers and the shooters were down around the 16 yard line. This was on the shoot off traps next to the club house.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I can't speak regarding Sporties or Skeet but I don't believe that a LEAD pellet can bounce off a clay target in the game of trap and get all the way back to the shooters 16 yards behind the house. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I'm simply saying that there must be some other explanation.

-Gary

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have to agree with Gary.....First of all the shot is inside the plastic shot cup and it has expanded to the point to seal the gases and create pressures.

A size 7-1/2 shot at 1200 fps. has 1.26 ft.lbs. of energy at 40 yards. So if it hits a target, it does not have the energy to travel back another 40 yards to hit anybody. It's only a 1 grain projectile. Think about it.

Wayne

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not everyone passed physics, Wayne. Plus, if the pellet did somehow have the energy to make the return trip, it would have broken the clay, or at least penetrated it (which would have then prevented the return trip).

-Gary

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

It's probably plastic build-up or carbon ..I hate shooting next to a ported gun..

16. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I can tell you that the shot does bounce off the target and come back at you hard, I was shooting a round of skeet and I had just finished shooting and was pulling for the next shooter. We were on station #4. I pulled and the target broke at the same time I was hit just below my lower lip, it swelled up like a pimple with a little blood. After the round I went into the clubhouse men's room and squeezed out a # 9 pellet. Wayne

17. AveragEd

I didn't believe it either but I received reports similar to Wayne's from seven readers.

Ed

18. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

gun wasnt ported and whatever it was came from my side came in from behind my glasses

19. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I have seen it at Trap 27 yard line. Kid was in a chair behind his dad. Guy broke the bird and the kid went down. Bang, whap, down.Pellet just below the eye.

Think about the pellet getting belted by the ridges in a spinning target, just like a baseball and bat. Soft shot may just distort and fall away but not Hard shot. Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it first hand. I was behind both of them both !

As to ports, like revolvers, they spit too, I try not to be directly aside them.

regards

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Never seen it in trap, but not uncommon in skeet (close targets). When I used to ref I took a number of hits. Half the time hit hard enough to draw blood. Seen a young kid go down to his knees on station 8 once.

Also, helped a shooter take a pellet out of his cheek on station 4.

Seen it a number of times in sporting, but again close targets.

Wear those glasses....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.