1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tubes for Remington barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nm3, Aug 7, 2013.

1. nm3

nm3 Member

I've been using a Carlson's Improved Modified choke tube .705" in my 1100 with 30" barrel. I have a new 1100 Competition Synthetic and was wondering if there was any reason not to start off with a similar sized choke tube? The included Briley ProBore tubes in this range are Modified at .710" and Full at .695".

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Remington didn't change the chokes - just changed the marking.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Remington ProBores (threads at the muzzle) are different than Remchokes (threads at the receiver end). ProBore chokes are for the overbored barrel in 12 gauge. Need to know the constriction of the choke compared to the bore. What are you planning to shoot with your choke? Trap? Try what you have, and see if it breaks targets. Mark

4. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

My competition synthetic has a bore that measures.739"/.740" and the second barrel I have measures .737".738". For proper constriction you should have the barrel measured so you know what you are dealing with......... Larry

5. nm3

nm3 Member

Yes, shooting trap.

Carlsons Improved Modified that I have been using in Rem Choke barrel is marked as .705.

New Briley/Remington ProBore chokes included with gun are Modified .020 (assuming .710) and Full .035 assuming (.695)

6. nm3

nm3 Member

Where along the barrel is the accepted location for measurement? From the breech or muzzle? Is it tapered or parallel?

I'm suspecting, as I expected, It's not just throw in the same Improved Modified choke and go....

7. Oregunner

Your Remchoke barrel is probably around .729-.730, so your IM choke is .025 constriction. Your Probore barrel is probably around .740, and the Briley chokes are labeled as to the constriction down from that. Your can measure the bore anywhere behind the choke constriction, the barrel bore is parallel through the bore, between the forcing cone and the choke cutout. If you like the IM choke in your old gun, start with the Mod Probore choke in your new gun, and switch to Full when you move back to the fence to play games. Mark

8. nm3

nm3 Member

I totally understand your explanation, but starting at .740 with Probore barrel and putting in a Modified choke with .020 constriction puts me near .720 which would be .015 larger than what I had with my Remchoke barrel .730 - .025 IM choke constriction at .705, correct? Wouldn't the Full choke with .035 constriction included with the 1100 CS be a closer starting point? Or does the overbored barrel add another variable when talking chokes?

Thanks all for the help....keep the thoughts/advise coming.

9. Oregunner

I consider shotgun patterns as much art as science. That is why you need to shoot your gun, with your shells, with your chokes, to decide what the pattern is going to look like, and even then, patterns on paper aren't really what is flying through the air. So, sometimes the best way is to just go shoot targets, and see what you think. Mark

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My full choke has .035 and smokes targets. I have not measured my modified probore barrel, but it breaks targets pretty hard as well. I just got this competitions synthetic, but I think I am going to stick with the mod choke at 16's for a while anyway.

Search tags for this page
best probore chock for trap shooting
improved modified rem choke constriction
modified trap rem choke

remington full trap choke

remington probore choke tube for shooting trap
remington rem choke trap barrel
where can i buy a improved modified choke for a remchoke barrel
which rem choke for trap