1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tubes for a 30" Remington 3200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GordonWood421, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

What is the advisability of installing choke tubes in a 30" Rem 3200 which currently has fixed chokes at IM/M ? Are the barrels typically thin as in Winchester Super X -1s or can a "stronger" system be used ? Other than Briley and Seminole , who would be recommended to do such a project . I am ,personally , in uncharted waters as I have no experience with 3200 - - I do understand that a wise shooter might not act so impulsively but there just "ain't no such animules in these parts ".

Would this be a considered risky project ( not the purchase) . Would the value of the gun be enhanced or are 3200s of more desirable if left as built with fixed chokes . This will be used for SCs and SKRAP more than "straight" trap and with predominately 7/8 oz loads , hence the need for tighter chokes .

Any considered recommendations/suggestions will be appreciated .

Charlie

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Choke Tubes for a 30

Stu Wright advised against it because the bbls are so thin. I noticed the bottom bbl on my 3200 is thicker than the top one, but I don't recall if I mentioned that to Stu. Did see a picture on here of a top bbl on a 3200 with the choke blown out the side. Clinched it for me.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

The problem with the 3200 bbls are they are not very concentric, especially the further you move back from the muzzle. The OD may be sufficient , but the bore can be shifted .010-015".

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

No personal experience, never did either to my several 3200s, but the general opinion seems to favor no porting or choke tubes on the 3200s. Take if for what you want.....Bob Dodd

5. Mike-n-CA

Mike-n-CA Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

My 3200 has 28 inch barrels and was choked by Briley for their thin walls long before I ever bought it. I haven't had any problems with it and it's my go to skeet gun.
    Mike

6. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

I've got two 3200's, both choked by Briley with the same series of tubes. They've worked just fine for years now.

However, IMHO you have an ideal fixed choke set up for SC and SKRAP. I'd just shoot lots of games before ya determine if ya really need tubes.

Ernie

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

I have installed my custom chokes in barrels that other shops stated were too thin (for them?) and had perfectly safe wall and tube thickness. My chokes are all made to fit and be the constriction desired or for the described intended shooting situation.

I have my own style of choke for steel shot/waterfowl use capable configuration, tight patterning turkey long range tubes for lead and hevi-shot out of the same tube, and every single tube is made to fit the barrel with no mass-production lack of fit. If you can call to get a tube that is already pre-made, it can't fit nearly as well as a fitted tube. I've seen mass produced chokes that were no more accurately made than a typical lug nut for your car.

I prefer to make special items for those who appreciate the better fit, and don't hold anything against those who are satisfied or must make do with the typical. Sometime, they may want to have just one special custom job, like the guy who wanted a choke in his JUDGE.

Kirby

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Choke Tubes for a 30

Ah, Kirby. How about 2 custom chokes, one at .030 constriction, and another at .020, all for steel since I shoot steel for trap. What would that cost for just my bottom bbl?

Also I went back and looked at Stu's email to be sure I'm presenting his view accurately. Here's what he said, "I doubt that a screw in choke will fit in the 3200 barrels. very thin. Only about 10% will take a tube." So I didn't exactly represent what he said. Sorry to Stu.

Will have the thickness of the bbls checked and get back to this thread. You'll want inside diameter and outside, right?

9. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Choke Tubes for a 30

My intention is not to impugn that any shop doing quality work is somewhat lacking just because I have done choke installations where others have refused due to their styles or sizes of tubes that they offer. In part, I just happen to do some jobs that others have not been willing to take on due to implied costs for extending the range of offerings. For instance, since I don't do rifle barrel installations, I don't have thousands tied into chamber reamers etc. that would mainly sit and collect dust. Shops gear their investments toward what work they tend to get or hope/expect to get.

One detail to consider with steel shot is the possibility of barrel scratches in older barrels. Since target steel pellets are finer than typical waterfowl load pellets, less chance of damage and improved flow of pellets through the choke and forcing cone should be expected- in comparison to large pellet waterfowl loads. I have converted a fair number of older barrels for waterfowl steel shot use, but for older softer metal barrels, the choke may survive better than the surface condition of the bore. I typically recommend lengthening the forcing cone to improve protection of the barrel, bore, and choke from the steel shot by making the shot squeeze more gently into the bore once it clears the crimp.

The thickness of barrels is not precisely determined by bore diameter and external diameter, since as Doug already noted (another CST alumnus), the hole in the barrel may not be exactly in the center of the material. I am not restricted to limitations on either bore diameter or EFFECTIVE external diameter, as long as there is sufficient material for a safe installation in the barrel(s) presented. That may include other factors that need consideration beyond the apparent metal availability.

Since my tubes are custom made and fitted, I gear my installation to the specific measurements of available material in the barrel. My steel shot tubes are an extended design, especially when tighter constrictions are expected.

Kirby

Some money spent examples shown here:

Accurate bore micrometer gauges

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=gage-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Long and deep dial bore gauges

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=gage-3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Rapid comparison gauges

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=gage-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3200 choke remington
custom choke tubes for rem 3200
remington 3200 bore measurement
remington 3200 briley chokes

remington 3200 choke tubes

remington 3200 chokes

remington 3200 forcing cone
remington 3200 forcing cone briley and rhino chokes