1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE TUBES, BEST & WORST?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I have been shooting for the past 40 years and I have never owned a choke tube barrel. when choke tubes first came out, the tubes were very short and after alot of patterning barrels for friends, i never saw a tubed barrel pattern from 27 yards as good as a fixed full choke barrel. with that being said, over the years choke tubes have gotten longer, as a result of this lengthing of the tube, the patterns in my opinion are now as good as a fixed choke barrel. i gave my disabled nephew a remington 870 tb with a fixed 30 inch fc. i have shorter barrels that i could give him but i am possibly thinking of having choke tubes put in a barrel. friends of mine have all said stay away from the remington choke tube, some feel they are the worst choke tube on the market. i want the longest choke tube being offered, also what choke tube do you consider to be the best, meaning hardest hitting and placing most of the shot in a 30inch circle. who does good choke tube work?
    steve balistreri

2. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

I have had good experience with Briley in Texas over the years. Their chokes have done a good job for me. Shoot well,Bigmike

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would use Wrights have your barrel miked and tell Stew your bore size and what you want in pattern he will know just what you need or send him the barrel and have him shoot it for pattern with the shells us use. That will get you just what you want then you are out of excuses.
    Shoot well,
    Buddy

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Briley. Regards, Ed

5. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I just purchased 2 compnchokes for my Kolar. Tried them out last weekend and they are as good as any choke tube made.
    I think you are going to find that there is going to be quite a few different choices. Good luck with your decision.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm like you everything fixed,, But I have friend that shoots an 870 the newer one with the big gold medallion on the receiver & CTs & it throws some of the best (meanest) patterns you could hope for with the CTs that came in the box with the gun. Ross

P.S. he ran his 1st 100 st. with it a couple of months ago..

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

Senior Smoke,

I would not molest that fixed choke barrel if it was mine. I'd keep it or sell it and get a choke tubed barrel to use. But I also really am fond of the old fixed choke Remington barrels.

I have had really good luck with Seminole, Trulock and Wrights in my guns. All of them are extended so they would be longer than a flush tube.

With seminole if you measure your bore they custom the choke to the bore a little better than assuming that all barrels from a given brand are the same.

And I can tell you that I have measured a quite a variation in bores sizes within a given make.

For example I have 2 525 Browning sporting clays guns, which according to the factory catalog should be .742 for invector plus, well.... one of them's bores measures .738 and .738, the other one measures .738 and .737... almost a nominal choke constriction off there per given tube based on a .742 nominal bore.

I have also measured Remington bores, not the choke part, on the non overbored barrels anywhere from .733 to .725 on the fixed choke barrels.

And ultimately in the end it is how they throw pattern.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Steve,

Please do not have that TC barrel choke tubed.

Remington made some very nice tubed barrels for the 870. There is no reason to tube a perfectly good fixed barrel.

I have used Wright's, Comp-N-Choke's, and Brileys with success in my factory tubed guns. The extended tubes really help in the transition area of the choke.
    Tube length isn't as important as the construction. The good tube makers know how to make it happen.

ss

9. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have tried several brands over the years - several already mentioned in this thread.
    By far the best and most consistant and with the hottest core of any I have tried are made by Steve Baldwin of Mechanical Accuracy in Jones, OK (just outside OK City. If I spend money on a choke - it will be Steve's, period.

10. senior smoke

being a remington 870 collector i would not have a choke tube put in the 30 inch fc barrel. i told my newphew to keep that barrel. i have a 28 inch modified barrel that is only 18 thousands constriction that i intend to give him after i have 3 chokes installed.
    steve balistreri

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Steve, if you like that barrel, then leave it alone and buy another to have modified. If not, send the barrel to Briley or Stu Wright and have them put their long (thin wall) choke tubes in it. If you want the barrel worked at the same time, send it to Wilkinson. He'll enlarge the bore to .740" and fit his choke tubes. His tubes are the exact same profile he uses for fixed choke barrels.

If you decide to buy another barrel for tubes, buy a fixed choke barrel, not one already threaded for tubes. The reason is the threads or the choke bore may not be concentric with the barrel.

12. willing

willing Member

If you are looking for LONG, take a look at Pure Gold.
    They are sold ay a lot of Sporing Clay ranges.

Bill

13. senior smoke

Bill:
    is pure gold the longest tube to your knowledge, as i equate length of tube with throwing a better pattern?
    steve

14. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

tom wilkinsons are a work of art, and shoot good too, steve

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have measured a lot of choke tubes over the years. Here is my 2 cents.

Remington: The worst. Some are not concentric (i.d vs o.d) and they do not seal properly.

Browning: Quality is o.k. They are one size larger than marked (ie. an IC is actually a Skeet).

Briley: The best there is!! Their Spectrum line has a fine finish and are matched close to the bore diameter.

Jim Skeel

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

On high end guns go with Briley. Both of my Infinity's love the Extended Briley S-2 .015 for singles. My Beretta 682 loves Wrights chokes. If you don't shoot a ported gun why would want a ported choke?

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar concentric choke tubes