1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Tubes or fixed---IM for 16s and (F) for 23yds and back?---I have both and love my fixed better---Easier to clean---Less to mess with---I see guy changing tubes and I really don't know if they are doing any better---Whats your opi?
    Thanks---George@SJB

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I've done a bunch of pattern testing. I'm not convinced that you gain that much between IM and Full. So, if I had my choice, I would only have fixed barrel guns. My O/U would be Mod/Full, any SBT would be Full and any semi or pump would be IM or Mod.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

When I miss a bird, usually it's me, not the choke. And I think M is fine for 16, and IM~LF is fine for 27.

However, I did ask a highly regarded barrel smith about choke tubes, his opinion was, fixed choke will always be better than tubes.

This is from a guy that can make 90% pattern on the barrels he worked on. And if you want his chokes, he'll have to tune the barrel to match them. He charges a lot of money for his work, and he is dead serious about patterns. I think he knows more about chokes than anyone I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.