1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Thread Cleaner

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Got in from four rounds yesterday and as usual began my cleaning ritual. Pulled the Invector Plus choke, did the bore then the choke being careful to head down the muzzle and clean the threads til patch came out clean. Oiled the choke threads and tightened it down....thinking it's 'spotless'.

Today in the mail received the Choke Tube Thread Cleaner from Shotgun Sports Magazine site. Neat steel tool with a sharp edge running down the threads. Ran it down the choke threads and couldn't believe the black crap it pulled out of the threads. Not unlike the valve-grinding compound we used to use. Incredible. Hope this keeps the threads clean and sharp. (This 'choke' science is fairly new to me since returning to trap. That's how old my shotguns were - chokes didn't exist back then.)

Thought I'd pass this experience on. Nothing like a pristine firearm in my book.

http://shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_16&products_id=83

Cheers
    Bill

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

Unless the choke feels gritty when you thread it in, there's really no reason to go running tools into the threads to clean them. Stuff will collect in the empty spaces withing the threads and will do less harm than running a steel tool into the threads to remove it. Since the tool wasn't cut at the same time and using the same tooling as the threads in the barrel, you may be removing a small amount of metal as you clean the threads making them looser over time. I'm content to clean my threads with a 12 gauge chamber brush and a little mineral spirits.

Andy

3. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Those trhead cleaners(I have one too) are ordered by the brand of choke i.e Invector Plus, Perretta, etc. so I would think that it would not be an issue as far as runing things.

Tim

4. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thinking along the lines of CHS when it arrived....I layed the cleaner threads against the choke threads and was impressed with the degree of machining/matching....ran smoothly in and out.

I think the glop gets into the threads when cleaning the bore out with the choke removed. Can't imagine stuff lodging there during shooting when the choke threads are cinched down tight.

bill

5. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

I've found that if I leave the choke tubes in while cleaning the bore I have less crap/residue in the choke tube threads inside the barrel.

LOCTITE markets an ANTI-SEIZE product that is quite helpful on the threads of choke tubes, it comes in STICK form, kind of like a large stick of your ladies lipstick, its silver in color and works great on threads but not lips.

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

OLD toothbrush?

You mean you don't use your wife's toothbrush?

Dr. Honk

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

zarathrusta.......rolling on the fookin' floor lmao!!!!!!!!

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Having some experience as a machinist, I wouldn't clean threads with anything more aggressive than a bronze bore brush...a nylon brush might be even better.
    I always clean my bores with the choke tubes installed. About twice a year I'll clean the tube threads (with the tubes out, of course) with a soft brush and lots of solvent.

9. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

In the barrels I have with choke tubes - when I clean the barrel I put the most open choke I have in the gun - it makes it easier to push a patch through - while I am cleaning with the open choke in place, the tighter choke tube use for trap is soaking in Ed's Red to remove all plastic.......this system protects my threads and allows me to really clean the tube I use all the time. Also - I have found that treating the inside of my barrel and choke with Ezzox really reduces build up and makes what little buildup I get easier to remove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choke tube thread cleaner

choke tube thread cleaning tool

invector plus choke tread tube cleaner
removing buildup from shotgun choke threads
shootingass ltd choke tube threader
shotgun bore choke tube thread brush
shotgun choke cleaners
toilet floor trap choke tubes