1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube stuck

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a Briley thinwall choke tube stuck in my wifes BT99. It was lubed but about 400 round have been shot through it over the past 6 weeks. I've been soaking it in Knao Kroil for about two days now and it's still stuck. Not sure how much tork I should apply trying to free it, but I've definently put some weight behind it and it hasn't budged. Any other suggestions?

2. Agitator

Agitator TS Member

Tried many suggestions I got on this forum, none worked for me. Maybe I didn't use enough torque though, was afraid of doing serious damage. I finally sent it to Briley and Cliff removed it with no damage to barrel or choke for a reasonable price. Satisfied me anyway.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my wifes gun this past winter with thin wall chokes.

I had lubed the chokes and left them in for three weeks.

I finally got it out (soaked in break free and kept working it), but now we always remove the chokes at the end of the day.

I did notice a mosture buildup below the thread area when I removed the choke...

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My son had the same problem with a Briley choke tube in his 682. We tried several methods mentioned on this thread. Here is my recommendation. Take the gun to a competent gunsmith. He will heat the barrel/choke area and using a good choke wrench; will allow the choke to be removed. My son tried soaking the barrel/ choke area with no success. Pay the money to have this problem corrected. I would send the barrel to Briley if all else fails. They assured me that they could remove the choke. However, using the heat the choke was removed. Good luck. Ed

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

I feel cheated that I've never had a stuck choke tube. Have left some in for many months and never had the slightest problem removing them. The fact that I always clean my barrels after shooting might have something to do with it but I dunno.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Using a grease or anti-sieze, is you best bet for keeping your choke tubes removable. Oil seems to just burn out and gets things crusty.

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Real funny anonomass..........modern guns don't need that much cleaning (chrome bores)....I've left many in for "months" and never had a problem...clean your barrel and your anonomA$$

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S.
    D Kusner

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you have a good fitting wrench, clamp the wrench in a vise and hold the barrel on the wrench and turn the barrel. Don't put pressure on the rib, you might crush it. If you must use heat, avoid a torch (too much heat), use a hair dryer. Once you get it out, you'll remember never to do it again. Never store a gun with the tube tight, back it out a thread before putting it away.

Big Jack

10. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

I had a previously hand-tightened Comp-N-Choke seize up in my Perazzi. No amount of careful leverage made it move. I emailed Comp-N-Choke for advice and they said soak the choke and barrel in a container of Penetrating Oil for several days. After five days in the oil it finally twisted loose. I made sure the level of the oil was higher than the tube inside the barrel. I was about to give up and visit a gunsmith when on the fifth day it finally loosened up with no damage to the choke or threads.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a Briley thinwall choke tube stuck in my wifes BT99. It was lubed but about 400 round have been shot through it over the past 6 weeks. I've been soaking it in Knao Kroil for about two days now and it's still stuck. Not sure how much tork I should apply trying to free it, but I've definently put some weight behind it and it hasn't budged. Any other suggestions?

12. Agitator

Agitator TS Member

Tried many suggestions I got on this forum, none worked for me. Maybe I didn't use enough torque though, was afraid of doing serious damage. I finally sent it to Briley and Cliff removed it with no damage to barrel or choke for a reasonable price. Satisfied me anyway.

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my wifes gun this past winter with thin wall chokes.

I had lubed the chokes and left them in for three weeks.

I finally got it out (soaked in break free and kept working it), but now we always remove the chokes at the end of the day.

I did notice a mosture buildup below the thread area when I removed the choke...

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My son had the same problem with a Briley choke tube in his 682. We tried several methods mentioned on this thread. Here is my recommendation. Take the gun to a competent gunsmith. He will heat the barrel/choke area and using a good choke wrench; will allow the choke to be removed. My son tried soaking the barrel/ choke area with no success. Pay the money to have this problem corrected. I would send the barrel to Briley if all else fails. They assured me that they could remove the choke. However, using the heat the choke was removed. Good luck. Ed

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

I feel cheated that I've never had a stuck choke tube. Have left some in for many months and never had the slightest problem removing them. The fact that I always clean my barrels after shooting might have something to do with it but I dunno.

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Using a grease or anti-sieze, is you best bet for keeping your choke tubes removable. Oil seems to just burn out and gets things crusty.

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Real funny anonomass..........modern guns don't need that much cleaning (chrome bores)....I've left many in for "months" and never had a problem...clean your barrel and your anonomA$$

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S.
    D Kusner

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you have a good fitting wrench, clamp the wrench in a vise and hold the barrel on the wrench and turn the barrel. Don't put pressure on the rib, you might crush it. If you must use heat, avoid a torch (too much heat), use a hair dryer. Once you get it out, you'll remember never to do it again. Never store a gun with the tube tight, back it out a thread before putting it away.

Big Jack

20. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

I had a previously hand-tightened Comp-N-Choke seize up in my Perazzi. No amount of careful leverage made it move. I emailed Comp-N-Choke for advice and they said soak the choke and barrel in a container of Penetrating Oil for several days. After five days in the oil it finally twisted loose. I made sure the level of the oil was higher than the tube inside the barrel. I was about to give up and visit a gunsmith when on the fifth day it finally loosened up with no damage to the choke or threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley choke tube stuck