1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Took my new (to me) Browning Citori out to shoot some wobble trap yesterday. Figured the upgrade to this gun would really improve my scores. Unfortunately, it was just the opposite. The gun came with Midas chokes and I understand they are much tighter than what I was using in the 870. I am hoping that could have made the difference? Is that a reasonable supposition?

To shoot traditional trap with 7 1/2 or #8 shot what tubes (mod, imp, etc.)would likely be best for me at 16 yds?

Thanks for your input in advance!

All the best,

Fred

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Fred, your problem may well be with the machining of the choke tubes. Both Browning and Beretta are infamous for providing tubes that don't all shoot to the same place. I had a maddening, frustrating experience with my Beretta Gold E combo, in that I would run them one day and drop 5 or 6 per round the next.

I finally set up on a bench and shot each one for POI. I found that only two of the six tubes provided shot to the same POI. A call to Briley for Mod, IM and LF choke tubes cured that problem. The Mod really smoked 16 yard targets, but I ended up using the IM for everything. The LF patterned so close to the IM it was redundant.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I like Briley IM for 1 oz loads, M for 1 1/8 loads.

Keller

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The "problem" with your chokes, might have to do less with the choke tubes than the fact that you're shooting an entirely different type of firearm...

Take the gun out to a patterning board and test for POI... the Citori platform is a proven winner, but your facial structure and the Browning Stock may be moving the POI in ways un-anticipated...

respectfully,

Jay

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Wobble trap? Did you try any regular 16 yd.? My guess would be you would have missed with any other choke you put in there. Midas chokes pretty much are the best chokes you are going to be able to put in there anyway.

6. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the input and food for thought! I did not try any regular trap.

All the best,

Fred

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm reasonably sure the Browning Midas chokes are made for Browning by BRILEY. I have them for my XT and the MOD Tube is more than tight enough for singles.

The biggest problem might be that you are not yet tuned in to the new gun. The XT and Briley chokes are both excellent products. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bestchockfortrapshotting
carlsons choke tube recommendations
choke for wobble trap
recommended choke tube sizes
recommended trap choke tube size
trap choke recomendations

trap shooting choke recommendations

wobble trap choke