1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mouldman1, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

still trying to figure out this choke tube thing......what does it mean by all the different names and what do they do in the sense of what is the difference in patterns? Also what choke do I use for trap? I am shooting a XT

2. JRD

JRD TS Member

The differant chokes will either give you a tighter or more open shot pattern. For trap shooting ( considering you are shooting from the 16 yard line) I would use a modified or Improved Modified choke. Actual pattern will depend on the gun and barrel, so just try differant ones and see what works best for you.

3. JRD

JRD TS Member

The differant chokes will either give you a tighter or more open shot pattern. For trap shooting ( considering you are shooting from the 16 yard line) I would use a modified or Improved Modified choke. Actual pattern will depend on the gun and barrel, so just try differant ones and see what works best for you.

4. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

so which one is tighter, which one is looser?

Is it bad to shoot the gun without a choke tube?

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes it is very bad to shoot it without a choke tube ... you didn't do that did you?

Well a Full is tighter than Improved Modified and Improved Modified is tighter than Modified and Modified is tighter than Improved Cylinder and Improved Cylinder is tighter than Cylinder.

Do you have an instruction book for your shotgun? It all should be listed in there as well along with a bunch of other useful information like never shoot your shotgun without a choke tube in it.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

mouldy,

first off, to truly know how much the choke contricts the shot as it exits the barrel, you need to know both the inside diameter of the barrel before the choke, and the inside diameter at it's smallest (the minor diameter) at the muzzle. The difference is known as the choke constriction. Terms such as IC, mod, full etc. generally mean *squat*. JRD's reference to Mod or IM would be .020 or .025 constriction and I would otherwise concur with his opinion.

to give an example:
    your XT probably has a bore dia. of .740. A browning choke with a .020 constriction would reduce it down to .720 which would be MOD.

My Beretta 791 has a bore dia. of .721. A choke constriction of .020 would reduce it down to .700 which would still be MOD. But, My choke constriction, in your gun, would make your's a constriction of .040 or a tight full....

Anyway, two ways, get someone to gage your bore, or accept someones dimension for a similar barrel, and gage the chokes your interested in. Then, go out and shoot some birds, see how it breaks them, find the one you like, glue it in, (figuratively speaking) then forget about everything I or anyone told you.

Jim

7. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

ok I think i get it now. full is a tighter pattern and improved cylinder is wider pattern - I guess I need to shoot a few hundred rounds through each and see what works best. Can someone call in sick for me I need to take a few weeks off work!!!

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I hope so, my gums are already sore....

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dont worry about trying various chokes ... go and get a super extra full turkey choke tube and a couple of flats of 3-1/2 dram 7.5 shot and do a little marathon shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.