1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oz, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oz

oz Active Member

try teflon tape. the kind you use on pipes. oz

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No, MIA, I've heard and read of several folks that use a wrap or two of teflon plumbing tape dry and that's the end of the need to lube or constantly tighten. I'm having no problems with my use of STOS but if I were to have a problem develop, I'd made up my mind to try the teflon tape myself.....Bob Dodd

3. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Do you know if your barrel is chrome lined? Most of the newer guns I understand are chrome lined. If I'm wrong then what else is right?
    Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z)

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I tried Teflon tape and it worked ONLY for a short while......gets hot and melts!

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I just reach up and check the tube as I change stations. I've noticed that quite a few people do the same. The gun is unloaded and broke open as it should be when changing stations.

Jack...as often as I clean my gun all I use is gun oil on the choke tube threads and it works great.

Bill

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

MIA, anti-sieze grease at most auto parts stores. Again, I'm an STOS user and I've never had a choke tube rust or stick. I've never had one back out unless it wasn't cinched up in the first place. Oh, there was one occasion when I was cleaning the single barrel with a 10 ga. brass brush. This brush will make quick work of any plastic or gunk with a little solvent (including WD-40 for you nay-sayers). In turning the brass brush at the muzzle end, I inadvertently loosened the choke tube but discovered it at the next session. My take, MIA, is you need to cinch down firmer on your choke tube with the appropriate wrench - it's always worked for me....Bob Dodd

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Howsbout tis

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have not tried personally but this should do well. No need for slots

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

If my extended choke tube didn't have slots to fit a tightening wrench into, I believe I'd cut slots in it, so I could get it good & tight. My lube is Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube, or plain old auto-parts store white lithium grease. Both hold fine when I take a wrench to it. Phil E

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

The rapid choker works fine. I set my chokes with that tool and they never loosen yet easy to remove. I use a choke tube lube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.