1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T.A.K., Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I have a Browning BT-99 with browning invector plus chokes. I only really use a full choke for singles and caps and only have the one that came with the gun.

Do upgrading chokes, like to Brileys and such, really make a big difference as far as shooting and scores are concerned? Is it something I should really think of getting?

I've noticed that Briley has a lot of different types chokes too. How do you decide which one and which size to buy?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Browning factory chokes are notorious for being more open than the marking indicates.

If I were you, I'd get a Briley full or extra full. (That's what I used in my BT Plus.) They do make a difference.

Briley makes the Browning Midas chokes. You should be able to get the same choke under Briley's brand for less money. When I bought mine (about 10 years ago), the Midas chokes were selling for $55, the Briley branded chokes were selling for $35.

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Do you know of anybody that has a INV+ that you could borrow and try? Also i have two Browning packaged INV+ skeet tubes that say made by Briley right on them. Only cost $20-25 each.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A barrel fine tuned and choked by Tom Wilkinson can make a difference in your scores. HMB

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Find someone with a bore gage to determine what you currently have. You may already have what's best for your gun. Generally other aspects of your shooting are greater contributors to your shooting scores...

6. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

Thank you all for your responses.

I've heard Mr. Wilkinson does good work but he's kinda out of my price range. I'd rather spend a little money on a choke and put the rest into shooting than just getting the barrel done.

I'd most likely stay with a full vs an extra full; there's just so many listed on Briley at different price ranges so I wasn't sure, especially looking at this Helix chokes and ported ones and what not. My scores aren't bad (though, not great either), I'd just like to be able to hit the target a little harder. I just wasn't sure if choke tubes really played that big a difference in the sport at all or not.

7. BigM-Perazzi

I'd suggest, no other than constriction, they make very little difference in performance.

and, do NOT get the Helix chokes...

8. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I bought a helix for my krieghoff and only used it a few times it's like double the weight of factory steel chokes and probably 5 times the weight of titaniums but what are the other reasons for not getting a helix

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Have you ever patterned the gun to see what the percentage is?

Ajax

10. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Ajax,

You beat me to that one!!! I cannot believe how many people DO NOT pattern their guns. Just seeing where the pattern is on paper tells you if you are haveing gun or choke problems.

Lyle

11. BigM-Perazzi

They crack.

12. BigM-Perazzi

good reading.

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

T.A.K.

V10 is correct about Browning factory chokes. Several years ago I measured nine Invector Plus tubes that came with three different Browning trap guns. There were three each: mod, imp mod, and full. Those labeled full measured out as imp mods. Those marked imp mod were in fact, light mods. If the mods had been just a bit more open, they would have been closer to skeet than imp cyl.

The bottom line? If you want an honest full, you'll probably have to buy an aftermarket choke.

Please don't ask which aftermarket brand is "best". You might as well ask which of the skantily clad models in the Chicks and Guns!!! thread is most attractive. Opinions will vary but you won't hear any objective or meaningful data to back up the opinions.

IMO, ANY quality manufacturer (Briley, Wrights, and MANY others) will serve you well.

sissy

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you have a full choke that is all you need no matter the constriction. Concentrate on your shooting instead of all the other BS involved in this sport, including advise on changing the barrels configuration and chokes. The only thing that the different chokes affect is your mind. Different chokes at 16 yds. will not change your score because of physics. It has been documented that misses are by feet, not inches at 16 yds.. You are talking a inch maybe two difference in pattern size. I would rather know I missed the target instead of shooting around a bird because of to open of a choke. Just my opinion. Focus a 100% on concentration and the chokes won't matter. Most of the BS is marketing driven, and that is it. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content