1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crow Valley, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crow Valley

Crow Valley TS Member

Help me out here. I have a friend that purchased a used SKB Trap gun and he felt he wasn't hitting targets as hard or consistent as he should have. He decided his choke tubes must be shot out so he purchased new ones & claims his scores are much better now.
    Me & a couple buddies joked that you can't shoot out choke tubes! Or can you?
    He swears you can, who is correct?

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

New one on me.... But I have not been around as long as a few on this board.

Take it to the patterning board and show us on paper the differences!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I cannot see how this would be possible under normal shooting conditions. Rifle shooters can wear out a barrel and shotgun shooters who do not properly insert a choke tube can shoot them off (out) of their barrels.

Pat Ireland

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have actually seen a .22 rifle barrel with the riflings shot out to the point it would not put 2 shots anywhere close to each other(8"-10" apart at 25 yds). This was an older Marlin .22 and was done over 30 years of consistent use. As "Pat" said, i highly doubt that given normal shooting practices this could be done using normal lead shot shells in even a reasonable amount of time. I would think someone would have to shoot slugs out of a choked target gun over a good amount of time to MAYBE get these results. Of course i've been proven wrong many times before and would welcome it again.---Matt

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Has he actually measured the old against the new?

6. Crow Valley

Crow Valley TS Member

MTA TOM

I'm sure he never measured them , but I could see if still has the old tubes so he coule make a comparison.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I just think your buddy has added to the ever popular excuse list. Don't get me wrong, i have added a many to it myself. If buying new chokes helps his shooting in his mind, i see no harm. Do what we do when somebody comes up with a new excuse. We number ours. I think we are in the thousands now. Example: shot my chokes out--Excuse #1023. LOL ----Matt

8. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

I doubt the original choke tubes were "SHOT OUT", but I will venture to say that the BRILEY tubes (made to SKB specifications) that came with the gun did not pattern well whereas the aftermarket tubes did. There have been several threads on the SKB 85TSS choke tubes and AveragEd wrote a review in Shotgun Sports magazine about the tube issue.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Remind him the shot is inside a plastic shot cup, even if it wasn't you are not going to have the choke "shot out".

Wayne

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I dont know exactly how many shots it takes to shoot them out BUT I do know that chokes made by same company marked the same constriction can throw different patterns and some are more consistant then others.
    I had 3 full chokes for Browning invector plus and tried all 3 in a BT99 2 of the 3 had holes in the pattern on 2 pattern targets on each the 3rd threw a very nice pattern and was the 1 I left in the gun and shot many straights with.

There are choke makers who study the way the chokes throw a pattern but also your gunna pay for their time and expertise.

Best thing to do is try what you got maybe borrow a few to try if you havent already found the magic 1.

Jerry Lewis

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sometimes changing a choke tube can change your POI. This can make a difference in how well you shoot. HMB

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts?"

Robert A. Heinlein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.