1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Question: Keeping Tubes Snug

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have a new to me OU that has extended factory chokes. (Guerrini) Curious how to make sure the chokes stay snug, yet will remain removable? I find that they get loose with mere hand tightening and there is no notch provision for a wrench. I'm sure somebody has a simple and effective solution outside of using any locktite.

Thanks in advance, David.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I only tighten mine hand tight. Get some real thick grease like CMD and lightly put a coat all over it. That will help a bunch. I always check mine in between each round just to be on the safe side.

3. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

I had a B. Rizzini with Seminole chokes. ( no notches) I carefully ( CAREFULLY )marked and used a Dremal tool with the cutting wheel to make notches! I use the aftermarket rubber and four notch choke wrench. You can cut one notch, slip the wrench in ( line up the one notch you have cut) and mark the next, until you have all four notches cut. If you are careful they look as good as a machined cut.
    No matter how you tighten a non-notched choke, they will shoot loose eventially.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Angleport makes a wrench to install and remove choke tubes without notches.

Also, the ever useful CMD Gun Lube on the threads works great.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Single layer of Teflon Tape. Wayne

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Chango,

Click the link above. This is a Briley product I sell, and it works great on no-notch chokes! It is taper designed, so it grabs the inside of the tube and allows you to tighten it. Feel free to shop on my website too, it is shooting season and I need $$$$! LOL

Matt Woodson

7. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I use a generous amount of Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube and my tubes stay tight.

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Give Wright's a call at 618 357-8933 or check the link above. I didn't see a wrench on their new website but I'm almost certain they offered one in the past. Wright's chokes do not have notches.

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Why don't you purchase the Caesar Guerini wrench? It has a taper on one end to tighten/loosen the tube and a thread cleaner on the other end.

Michael Stephenson

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Eddie,

I have those in my Web-Store. They are nice, and only run $18.95 plus shipping.

Matt Woodson

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a Carlson choke tube crank type wrench that works good on every style of 12 gauge choke I have. It will not remove ones that are over tightened with vice grips, but it will remove any chhoke I install with it. It spins them out fast, I like it when I am shooting sporting clays because of the desire to change chokes between stations. Lots of good options. Good Luck

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

David, I use the teflon tape like WayneO says. You could also use the Briley wrench which basically just grabs the inside of the tube

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi all...

Thanks for the advice. BTW, the Guerrini came to me via trade with another gun. I never shot the gun before, it was just there. Surprised me how nicely it works due to what I perceive as very good triggers. A nice surprise.

Thanks for the advice; I just didn't want to use blue locktite in this case.

David

14. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

Go to the auto supply store and buy a tube of "Door Ease" for car door hinges. Rub the stick on the threads until you fill the threads and then put it back in your gun. It will last quite a while and the chokes will stay tight.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You know, I've read some of each of the recent threads on keeping choke tubes tight or getting them loose and have been surprised to read that this many people experience those problems with their chokes. But those posts have reminded me that I see a lot of people tightenting their extended tubes while changing posts. I have Wright's chokes in my 870TC and Beretta 687 and they never come loose. Yes, never. About twice a year, I take them out (for what reason I don't really know) and they break loose easily. I have one of Stu Wright's choke tube removal tools just in case but I couldn't tell you where it is right now.

I wonder how some of the things people use to coat their choke tube threads get when they build up on the threads in the barrel. Of course, I guess that's why they make choke tube thread cleaning tools that look like a threading tap. By the way, I have a brand new one for Kreighoffs in case someone wants it - I bought it when I got my KX-5 in 2002 and never used it.

Ed

16. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Here's what use for my un-notched chokes. It works on the friction-clutch principle and gets the chokes nice and snug. It uses a grippy-type plastic for the inside of the choke tube, and when you tighten the knob on top, a cam makes the column get slightly oval shape which really grips the choke well. The speed crank gets the choke in and out fast and the friction-clutch principle won't let you over-tighten.

Available from Carlsons for about $20.00.

[​IMG]

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Put CMD on in the winter and you cannot remove tube till Spring

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how tight to put a choke tube in