1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Number Meanings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I'm probably going to ask a really dumb question here but, my philosophy is the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I'm at the point in my skeet game where I'm experimenting with different choke restrictions in my sub-gauges to give me that extra break or two that would up my scores a little. I know there is no substitute for practice but, my two-part question is this:

1) What sub-gauge choke restrictions would give me the best opportunity for more breaks in the 28 & 410 gauges? I'm not interested in "powdering" the birds, I just want to give myself the best opportunity for increased numbers of breaks. I shoot Kolar tubes and have .410 chokes with the following numbers on them: .405, .407, .410, .412. If there are different choke restrictions I need, please feel free to make recommendations...for both gauges. I know that patterning chokes on paper at 25 yds. for skeet will give me a good idea but I want to narrow the field a little bit before shooting at paper.

2) When in a shoot-off and shooting doubles from 3, 4, & 5, do most people use a slightly tighter choke than in a normal round?

Thanks, Rod

2. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Still looking for a little input.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Have you tried a skeet forum????

4. derrwood24

derrwood24 TS Member

Just figured this stuff out a few weeks ago myself.

Check out Briley's website and download and print off their sub gauge choke chart for a starting point. On your tube should be stamped the constriction. My 410 tube had .417, and my "skeet" chokes had .003, meaning a .003 reduction in bore size. This translates to somewhere between a cylinder and skeet choke. Each choke should show a bore size or a constriction size, requires some math, but using the choke chart, you should be able to identify what you have. I marked the tube case with the bore sizes and what they correspond to. Same will apply to 28 ga, just a different bore, somewhere around .515?

I'm not a registered skeet shooter, but I doubt I'd change chokes for doubles, a visible chip is a dead target, they don't have to be smoked to count!

Hope this helps

5. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

You have to know the bore size of your tube. Every tube has it marked on tube usually at the end where the chamber is but some down by the choke. Your choke should have a number on it which would be the bore size of the choke. You subtract the choke bore size from the tube bore size and that gives you the constriction of the choke. In 410 and 28 most people use a more open choke, like a .003 or.004. The big dogs will use tighter but we are just trying to hit more targets.
    If your bore on the tube is 417 then the choke should be 414 or 413.
    Hope this helps.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Pattern your chokes to see what gives the best, most uniform patterns with the ammo you are using. I've heard that factory Remington and factory Winchester prefer slightly different constrictions, and who knows what your reloads might prefer. Only you can tell what works in your tubes and chokes.

7. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Excellent input and thanks. As math is not my stongest suit, I'm going to ask another dumb question:

Given the .410 chokes I have as listed above; which ones would have more open chokes, i.e. from most open to least open .405, .407, .410, & .412? Thanks.

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Some chokes list the constriction, or tightness, but it sounds like your chokes list the diameter of the bore. In that case, the bigger the number, the bigger the hole. Mark

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

10. Oregunner

A listing I have of Remington factory chokes lists the factory Remington 12 gauge skeet choke as a negative constriction. Skeet 0.727 bore, 0.732 choke, -0.005 constriction. That being the case I have found that a 410 needs some choke even at skeet distances. Mark

11. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Excellent, that's what I needed to know for a starting point. It sounds like now all I have to do is start with the larger hole and work my way down on the pattern board to see which constriction gives me the best patterns. Thanks everyone for your input.

Rod

12. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

This is the best forum for your skeet questions:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=94&sid=093a3266f203e66c26a13e34a6e476eb

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

In 12 gauge most times the # x4 is usually the constriction...for example an "8" (x4) is 32 thou or basically a lite full..smaller gauges I'm not so sure

14. Oregunner

Trulocks and Carlsons list the total constriction, i.e. .700, and Comp-n-Choke lists the choke constriction, i.e. .015,

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.