1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Lube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Normally, I have used automotive anti-seize for my choke tube threads (the stuff you get at the auto parts store, copper colored.)

And until lately it had worked fine.

But the last two times I tried to unscrew my choke tubes, they were REALLY hard to break loose. Seems the anti-seize had gotten hard and caked in the threads.

Looking for alternatives.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use Rig grease for my tubes and hinges on my Beretta's. It has been working great. I stumbled across this stuff a few months back and can't complain a bit.

[​IMG]

ss

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Alot of good anti-seize out there. A good hindge pin grease will work just as well.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

STOS is my fix....Bob Dodd

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use Flalagarto's gator tears on my hinge pins. Would that work?

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Im with Bob on this one, STOS is the way to go.

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Most likely any lube will work if you break them loose every three or 4 hundred rounds.

I like Break Free CLP. it is just about the best stuff in the world.

tom

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Recently I had someone suggest using a single wrap of Teflon tape on the threaded portion of tube. I was told this would prevent the tube from working loose as you shoot and seems like it would work very well to prevent seizing. Marc

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like MolyLube for anti-seize applications, the Mo particles in the lube are a lot smaller than what you find with the copper products. I also have good luck on choke tubes with regular old white lithium grease.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I lube mine with whatever I have handy for the other parts on my gun. I take my tube out about once every 2-3 years and clean it. I shoot a lot of shells between cleaning.

Pat Ireland

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Get yourself some extended choke tubes, then set up your guncase so you have to remove the chokes to be able to put the barrel(s) away. Also, oil them once in a while. I like the old GI LSA oil.

12. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I use the thickest grease I can find and put it on the threads and a thin coat on the outside of the tube and it will keep them tight until you need to take them out.

13. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

SYNCO SUPER LUBE SYNTHETIC EXTREME PRESSURE GREASE ITS CLEAR AND ITS WORKS GREAT, AND IT DOESN'T MELT OFF IN THE HEAT.

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

First off while you have them out you can clean the threads out with a lil automatic transmission fluid on a toothbrush. Altho Never sieze is awesome stuff my mechanical experiance when it cruds up it gets nasty and hard, been using it on brake slides for years but always clean and reapply each time. Should be ok to keep useing as long as cleaned and reaplied, I use white lithum grease myself.

Jerry

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tim, Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube is messy but effective; I will probably change to STOS next after comments here...I have used it on o/u actions and will try it on choke tubes. One less thing to mess with. Best Regards, Ed

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Anti-seize (either copper or nickle-based) is designed to be captured between two surfaces and NOT left exposed to the atmosphere. If exposed, the carrier solvent will indeed dissipate and leave the binder and the metal behind as a paste. Using it exposed on hot brake parts makes that process happen faster.

I just spray a little Rem-Oil on the tubes. The threads don't get very hot and thick grease won't seal out gases. The fine threads just appreciate a little lube. Take the tubes out regularly and clean them; they are removable to make that easier!

MK

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.