1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Tube Lube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Is there a less expensive substitute for "choke tube lube"? I see Brownell's sells it for $10.xx per ounce but I'm sure it is that high because it says "Choke Tube Lube" on the package. Is there a general anti seize product that can be used without worries?

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I use CMD grease everywhere including the choke tube. Just a very thin bead and when you screw the tube in it distributes the lube evenly. Have not had a tube so lubed and installed with fingers loosen or tighten up to where fingers would not remove it.

--- Chip King ---

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is CMD grease?

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

CMD is the Gun grease recommended by Kolar. CMD stands for Chicago Manufacturing & Distribution Co. Also sold in 4oz tubes as CMD Extreme pressure Lube #3 in commercial form. I bought 3 2oz tubes of the gun grease years ago and still going strong but can not remember where I got it. The 4oz tubes pop up on e-Bay often.

--- Chip King ---

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Found it w/ Google, thanks! $3/oz is much better!

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nickel anti-seize (not the cheaper zinc/aluminum/copper stuff).

That's what it's made for... stainless steel connections.
    [​IMG]

Keller

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

There's also that black Molibdinum puck in the little squeeze tubes made by Birchwood Casey. It's a small tube, but a lifetime sypply for a couple of bucks.

best...mike

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Try Briley Manufacturing. Order a couple of choke tubes and at your request they likely will include a lifetime supply of their grease for nothing. Jack

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have used gunslick graphite grease for years. That little tube is still over 1/2 full. It will probably last the rest of my life. Lubriplate white grease does fine also. I think anything, including motor oil would work for choke tubes, stainless or plain steel. The only ones I ever saw trouble with were seized due to no lube for a long time.

11. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I use anti-seize compound found at most any auto parts store. Use it very sparingly (one little drop) on the threads and your tubes won't seize. Much cheaper and extremely effective. I use it in automotive applications much more severe than anything a gun application can dish out. Mark

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Was recently told by a very reputable gunsmith to use the thin form of

lubriplate(like used in lower units of outboard motors), AND....coat the entire

outside of the tube that fits into the barrel, as powder residue can get into the

smallest of crevices, and tighten the choke in the bore.

Take them out regularly and clean tubes and barrel.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Shooting Coach here on TS.com use to sell CMD Lube. Great stuff, maybe PM him see if he still has any? A little goes a long way.

Wayne

14. vdt

vdt Active Member

SUPPER LUBE

15. maka

maka Member

Get some anti seize at your local hardware or auto parts store. Usually comes in 8oz. plastic bottle. Like indicated above small amount, (match or less). Bottle will out last you and all your kids if you have some. Use to be about $5.99 in our area. Good Luck.

16. scrappy

scrappy TS Member

I was at Clay Target Sports this past summer, and asked Chris Maest what is the best lube for chokes. He told me not to use any lube, but put gun oil on the threads. Chris was the service mgr. at Krieghoff for about 10 years, so I took his advice. Bottom line is, my chokes go in and out smoothly and with no effort.
    Dave

17. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use a drop of Slip 2000.

18. kenf

kenf Active Member

Kendall Super Blue Wheel bearing grease looks very similar to the Briley Super Lube. A tub will last you many a lifetime.

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Where do you find SUPER LUBE ????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke tube lube

choke lube
choke tube grease substitute
choke tube lube
choke tube lube substitute
graphite lube choke tube