1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube collapsed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LOWGUN, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

I was shooting some skeet doubles the other day with a couple of friends. The one fella had a brand new 12ga. o/u with about 50 rounds fired thru it. After shooting a pair his first shot(bottom barrel) sounded tiny. I told him to check his barrel because I didn't see the wad. The wad had engaged the choke tube and collapsed it into the bore. You could see a pencil sized hole in the bore but it was plugged with the wad. Of course the barrel was bulged out the bottom and into the top barrel as well. Never seen anything like that before. Mike

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Brand of firearms?

Reloads, factory?

Snow or mud on the ground?

3. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Sorry guys, I should have added all the particulars. Factory STS 1 1/8 #9 in a Mossburg o/u with the factory installed flush mounted choke tubes.They were I/C and I/C. Mike

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I think you solved the problem...Mossberg :)

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The last Mossberg muzzle I stuck a pen light into had the choke threaded in so crooked, it would have been a miracle the shot/wad didn't snag the skirt.

6. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

I was told that the o/u was called the silver reserve and was imported from Italy. The choke tube was still flush with the end of the barrel. We tried to take it out but could only get about 1/2 turn.I have since the first found out the the gun was returned to Mossberg because it would not fire. A real lemon! Mike

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

These junkolas are imported from Turkey.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I accidentally dropped a Krieghoff tube not too long ago and, of course, it fell onto pavement on the thin end. It put the most unremarkable ding in the tube and I was certain a couple of shots would press it back in shape - uh uh! Those shots totally ruined the tube. They're pretty delicate little buggers, eh?....Bob Dodd

9. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Colonial Arms sells a choke tube IRON that flares the thin end out just a tad so the tube is against the bore, air tite seal. Like $15 bucks.

10. guncase

guncase TS Member

I wouldn't be too hasty to blame the gun!! Mossburg has a good reputation in the hunting world. It is more likely that the tube was left loose by the shooter!! Just my thought,,, Paul P.S Bob Dodd,,, If you drop one of those thin wall tubes on concrete,, best thing is just step on it!! I have done it too!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.