1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

choke tube care

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by baldeagle, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baldeagle

baldeagle TS Member

Just received my first shotgun that has choke tubes. Any suggestions of its care? Should choke tubes be lubricated before each use? What is a good lubricate and where can I get it? Is it wise to store the tube in the barrel when not in use over a short time?

Thanks

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

baldeagle,

Yes, you should put lubricant on the threads before you insert the choke tube into the barrel. Look for "choke tube lube" offered specifically for that purpose.

I use copper or nickel based automotive anti-sieze.

There is no problem leaving the choke tube in the gun for long periods of time, as long as you lubricate the threads before you install it.

I periodically clean my choke tubes by letting them soak in a homemade concoction called Ed's Red Bore Cleaner (google it.)

Many folks swear by a product called Slip 2000 (I think?) for cleaning their choke tuubes

Good luck

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I clean my gun every 300-500 rounds. I run a 10 gauge bore brush with a piece of paper towel draped on it soaked in Hoppe #9 a few times. I then remove the choke tube and using a short handle brush scrub the residue off the taper, lubricate it with some gun oil and re-install it. I then wrap a bit of steel wool around my bore brush, spray on a bit of oil and finish scrubbing the barrel with the choke tube in place. A few passes with clean pieces of paper towel on the brush until all the bore residue is gone and then a final pass with paper towel soaked in gun oil.

I think if you expect your choke to function as it is designed, it has to be clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.