1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE TUBE BLOW OUTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JERRY VEATCH, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JERRY VEATCH

JERRY VEATCH TS Member

Has anybody besides me have a problem with a trap gun spitting out a choke tube and ruining the barrel and tube?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similiar experience?

Jerry Veatch
    jveatch@usmo.com

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen it happen more than once, thats why I won't buy a gun with tubes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friend bought a gun with fixed chokes. He had a gun shop send it out to have tubes put in. He got it back and shot it for about 2 nights in a two week time. He tried to take the choke out and I had to help him. when we did finaly get it out the end that started the choke was about 10% gone. He went back to the gun shop and they said the tubes were put in crooked. They sent it back and 2 inches had to be chopped of the barrel. He got it back and looked things over and shot one round. He then tried to take out the tubes. Again it was hard and again they were done incorrectly. The co had to buy the barrel.

Briley are the only people who I would have put tubes in any barrel that I own.

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Hello Jerry,

Who manufactured the gun? You can PM me with the answer if you want.

I had a similar problem with a choke tube blowing out but the mfg said the barrell was fine and sent me a new choke tube.

I have not had a tube blow out since but I do not think the barrell is right either.

Dr. Honk

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Thin-walled choke tubes are know to do this.

MK

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Gregg535, when did the first one and yours happen?

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

if the tube gets damaged even slightly the wad can catch it and ruin the bbl and tube. i inspect mine often and fix even the slightest nick with ultra fine emery paper.

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I lost a tube in the right barrel of my Ruger Gold label. I still don't know why. Ruger replaced one of the barrels, re-blued the barrels, re-regulated them and sent back the gun in six weeks, all on their dime except the shipping to them...over $60 with insurance.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jerry,

Have a good gunsmith cut off the barrel and sweat a choke into it and be done with it ... I have seen at least 6 tubes blown out of barrels which convinced me that it was not something I ever wanted to deal with, thats why I will not entertain buying a gun with tubes in it ... I saw the end of a ported barrel get blown off a of Perazzi TM-1 also which is why I am not a fan of porting or ported barrels ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use CMD grease on all my tubes, helps keep them tight and helps seal the gassas, and makes for easy removal. Been doing it for years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I had it happen with my Perazzi Grand American o/u. I used it a bunch for bunker. One choke tube got very stuck and I used lots of break free and got it out with an appropriate choke tube wrench. Thought no problem but a few weeks later during a day with about 200 + targets shot, the choke tube blew out and bulged the barrel. Briley did a credible job of repairing and put in Briley chokes.

I was not aware of ever dropping the choke tube or any other issues but Luccio tells me that likely happened and bit of a lip formed.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bad factory installation is one problem. Sometimes the tube is off center, leaving a slight step on one side.

One the user end, a dented or malformed tube skirt can allow a slight raised edge that will foul the wad, and either the first wad or a subsequent wad will fold it back to the point where the wad jams, and pressure blows the tube out of the barrel, or blows the end off the barrel (thin barrels are more susceptible to the latter).

Another is when ordering custom choke tubes. These are generally custom sized to a particular bore size. If the bore wasn't checked or improperly checked, there could be a step up to the tube. When buying custom tubes, they must be checked to make sure they fit properly. I bought a set of custom choke tubes here, and they just barely clear one of my barrels.

There is a special tool called a choke tube skirt iron. It's simply a steel cone on a handle that is used to remove dents from the choke tube skirt. Anyone using screw in choke tubes should have one of these in their range kit.

I prefer screw in choke tubes because they're so useful. Also, chokes for steel shot are much harder than the barrel steel, and for hunting purposes that makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, if a particular use works best with one choke, then you can't beat the simplicity and reliability of a fixed choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
sweat on choke tubes

why screwin choke tubes blow out