1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke tube advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Little background first - I've been shooting for 6 months and shoot a Krieghoff KS5 with a number 3 choke tube (which is Improved Modified, I believe)and origianlly was set to shoot 80/20. My scores are stagnant and to say the least I'm getting a little frustrated and losing confidence in myself and my gun. I have a few things I know I'm doing wrong and am currently working on them (eye issues, keeping the gun moving, getting to the leading edge of the target, etc.) At the advice of Phil Kiner I lowered my POI and today I shot the same but made some harder angle shots that I have been struggling with... now I know what it looks like and feels like to get to the leading edge of target. My question is - is there any benefit to trying a more open choke (#2?) to possibly gain more breaks in the hope of gaining some confidence? Thanks... Jill

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It wouldn't make any difference, Jill, sorry.

Neil

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jill, you don't say what load you shoot, or how quickly you shoot. Without that info, we can't give you a good opinion. That being said, I'd suggest you try it and see for yourself. That's the best way to find out. It very well may help for a little while.

When I tried it, I also switched to 1 1/8oz #8 1/2 shot so I'd have a boatload more pellets to fill that wider pattern. Initially, it did help my scores, but not by much. 2 birds more out of 100, and usually not even that. It also made me a sloppy shooter. Two weeks after I switched to my .027" (Improved Modified) choke, my singles scores were not affected, but my handicap scores improved.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Be CALM....Be SMOOTH.....get in FRONT of the clay and PULL the trigger! Nothing more...nothing less! Do NOT stop your swing....Do NOT lift your head! Works for me!

AndyH ;-)

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Jill, There are a few very well respected gunsmiths that have done quite well for themselves and their clients by offering choke modifications. Changeable chokes (tubes) make a lot of sense to many of the best shooters in the game. They give you a choice to see what works best for you in your gun. I am of the belief that a choke set up for 27HC will adversely affect most shooters from the 16yd line. One word of caution: When you find one choke that you like for 16yd stay with it. For HC pick another that best suits you.

I recently had a TM-1 fitted with screw in chokes by Stu Wright. Factory fixed choke was .040. It would smoke targets from the 27. From the 16 it was smoke or miss. Stu supplied me with chokes of .020, .028, & .032. The .020 really grids up 16's, the .028 will "smoke em" from the 27. I have no regrets whatever in making the change to choke tubes.

There will always be people telling you to buy a full choke and shoot it for everything. They like to see smoke. There have been many posts on this subject here on TS. I would rather see hard hits with a higher score.

In that you have a gun already fitted with changeable chokes it would not be expensive to try a couple more. Check out Wright's at the above URL. Give Stu a call. He is very knowledeable and skilled.

Good luck, Marc

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

You said you are having issues with your eyes. Get that fixed first, then start thinking about chokes and whatnot.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

P.S. : I just got prescription lenses for my shooting glasses and have promptly started shooting 6 to 9 birds better than i used to.

7. Joen

Joen Member

Jill
    What a guy told me to do is put in the tightest choke I have in, set the trap to set only throw staight aways start on the 16 ajust you gun so you are in the middle of the target, then start moving back a yard or two at a time and kept ajusting the gun to stay in the middle of the taget, to your handicap yardage when you have that done open the choke up on the 16 so you are not smoking the target but breaking the good, this worked for me and I have not adjusted my gun cents I did that and my score are going up slowly with some real good round mixed in Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.