1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Treads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kabang, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabang

Kabang TS Member

I clean the threads on my INV + chokes after shooting each day. I bought the Winchester Select Platinum O/U last summer and I think I have about 750 rounds down the tube. I was looking closely at the threads and noticed that the lower 3/16" of thread on the mod choke was worn completely flat. Is this normal? Do I need a thread chaser to clean out threads inside the bore?

Thanks for your advice.
    Mark

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

How about a picture? This does not sound right at all. See if another choke will go in that barrel by hand. If so, replace the defective choke. If not, call Browning.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wouldnt use anything except liquid and a soft cloth on the threads--- I dont think I have ever cleaned any except by that method

DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT use that choke tube again

Now some aftermarket tubes have ghost threads but if you are describing a factory tube- DONTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

unless you want to blow up your gun

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Does your choke look like this?

I have Browning Inv Plus tubes (Trulock, Carlsons, Angle Port) and every one of them have the first 1/8" of threads machined off from new. Every tube I own is like that. If you were mashing the threads I suspect you would feel significant resistance when installing the tube. <center>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Never use a thread chaser just to clean threads. You'll remove metal and make the threads loose. Thread chasers are intended to repair damaged threads. I use a 1/2" test tube brush and Ed's Red to scour out debris.

MK

5. Kabang

Kabang TS Member

Here is a picture of mine. I checked a new one (IC) that I have not used and it's the same. Seems weird to me, (but what do I know.)

Thanks Guys

Kabang

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Looks to me to be the normal machining relief on the thread, this allows for the choke to enter the barrel without damaging the thread lead.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Big M is correct. It is called a lead on the threads. Helps you start it straight. Two rules: DON'T chase them. You should never need more than two fingers to screw a tube in. If you do, STOP.Something is wrong.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Perfectly normal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke tube thread chaser shotgun

shotgun choke threads

shotgun choke tube thread chasing

uzkon choke threads