1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Theory Observation from North Dakota Clinic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

At a two day clinic in Bismarck ND, one of the shooters was using an IC for doubles.

We saw on the video replay that the target went through the pattern (or vise-versa) completely surrounding it and the target did not break and did not even show dust.

This was a very fast shooter and once again proves to me if the choke does not make some black smoke there is a chance you can hit it but miss it.

PS Some of you guys from Bismark feel free to verify

2. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Phil, what do you shoot for doubles? singles, handicap?

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Phil,
    I shoot IC and IM in my CG. Breaks them really well.
    I'll go to LM and IM and see how it does.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What shot size was he using? HMB

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Phil,

Do you remember catching the same thing on tape at one of your classes in Fallon? It was a young guy (quick shooter) shooting a 0.018" choked SKB from the 16 yard line. The tape clearly showed the target getting surrounded by the shot cloud but not breaking.

If it weren't for the tape evidence I wouldn't have believed it.

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Knuter- ou bottom .015 top .030 top single .034 I shoot the top ou for singles and the single for hdcp- made that switch about 3 years ago as I felt like I was not moving the single at 16's as well as the ou. I think this single bbl is heavier than what I have shot in the past.

HMB- 1 1/8 8's

Wolf- thanks for reminding me of that one as I had forgotten about it and yes it makes a believer out of you when you see it first hand.

I have caught it on video replay 10-12 times which is pretty amazing when you figure all of the elements that have to come together for it to show up. Every time I have caught it on video it has been with chokes that are .014 or less and generally in the .007 to .012 range. The .018 SKB is the tightest one that has had one slip through. Which brings me to the next point.

I know this is going to send the technofreaks into orbit but not all chokes of the same constriction will break targets with the same authority.

My Tom W .015 will smoke a target blacker and harder than damn near any other .015 choke you can put it against. Don't ask me why but I can tell you that is the way it is.

Also remember that just because a choke says that it is modified does not mean that it has a modified constriction (about .020). I see that all the time in clinics and Gary is right that is why I always have a bore gage with me.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My 0.018" smokes the targets, but I shoot damn fast.

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

I tried the light mod .015 this weekend and it worked well for the first shot smashed the target with 1 oz of 8's the 2nd target was a different story but that is my struggles any advice will help. Bob s

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well, I was talking to a very good shooter this weekend @ the NC state shoot. He loads very slow speed shells. He told me the slower the speed of the shell the tighter choke was needed. He uses Mueller chokes. He shoots some shells @ 1090 & others @ 1125.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.