1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Survey - What to Use

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

As I approach my first shoot of my second season at the Dixie Grand. I decided to take a survey on what chokes you all use for singles, doubles and handicap. It seems that this is another one of those controversial subjects. I'm a Class D Shooter (hopefully not for long) and shoot IM for singles, LF for Top and IM for bottom on doubles and LF for 20yrd. Handicap. By the way, I wish everyone a safe and joyus Christmas.

John

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Instead of conducting a Gallup Poll from other casual shooters why don't you apply the scientific answer described in great detail at the website above. The punch line is that you need a choke that does a 75% or better pattern in a 30" circle at the "Distance you break the target".

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

While I'm no expert on this or know where your guns POI is I'll tell you what I use.
    Class A, 16yd IM .025, same on the 22yd. line. Doubles B class, IC bottom .010 and LF on top .030.
    I shoot with some good shooters who leave the M choke in for all events and they do very well. Some patterning with your gun and different chokes may help with your decision.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John...While everyone will have their own preferences of which chokes to use at any given yardage, the main thing to keep in mind is to use the tightest choke you can for all events. That being said, I shoot .034" for singles (AA), .034" for handicap (27yds) and .020/.032" for doubles (A)..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You guys are missing a few points here. Everyone knows air density plays havoc with shot patterns. Your going to need to know the air density to make the correct choke choice for the day. Choke selection may need to be changed every day and possibly during the day.

All kidding aside Dan has it right as far as I'm concerned.

Jim

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Improved Modified!

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

John,

The chokes you're using sound about right.

John

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

It is nice to know what other shooters are using, but you need to find what works for your gun, ammo and style now.

Assuming that you are also in D class for doubles, I suggest for doubles use IM/IC. Shoot the first bird as fast as you can with out being reckless.

IM is good for singles, I also suggest that you try using IM for 20 yard handicap.

As your skill level and confidence increases tighten up; also tighten up for practice.

Jason

9. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Full choke for everything.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Buy 2 boxes of 9s. Screw in a skeet or imp cy and go shoot 25 from the 16 and 25 from the 20. You will find that it doesn't make any difference what chokes or size shot you use. Then you can use whatever you feel comfortable with.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Brieley Spectrum IM has worked best for me. I went through the boring PITA of POI/POA patern testing my gun/chokes. Now I found with STS 1 1/8 7.5 light target loads and the chokes I had that the Factory full(over) amd the briely spectrum(under) are buy far my best chokes. POI/POA and pattern/pellet count. Counting pellets is a PITA. The time I took with Neil W. and many others olong with Rollins book. Gave me insight and A better understanding of What/where my shot was going/doing. I also found my OEM browning IM Was shooting Down and to the right At the 13y test. I also found one missed labeled choke. This I found useing a caliper and measureing it. Browning sent me a new one Free. So far I have used that Briely Spectrum Back to 23line and have played around with it At 27 yards scored a 22??? very surprised. As far as ammo These 2 chokes have the best overal performance with Estates 1 1/8 8s at 1145fps. Gun clubs, STS light target and handicap loads. I try to always shoot 1 1/8 7.5s with any shell I get. Right now Becouse of price I bought a few cases of Fed 4 packs these are 3dram 1 1/8 7.5s with my full choke they get a little slopy on the pattern paper. But for fun shoots and leauge they are fine for the price.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use full for singles, full for handicap (23) and mod for 1rst shot of doubles and improved modified for 2nd shot. All are Briley extended tubes.

Bill

13. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

The only way to really know what choke works best is to do the tedious work on the patterning board (I need to find one in the Seattle area). I was really surprised by the results on the recent POI thread using Briley Spectrum chokes, 1oz loads at 32 yards. I'm satisfied with my POI testing Neil and ZZT were so helpful with earlier this year using standard Browning chokes, but have no idea what is happening at distance and probably is part of the reason for my misses at the 20yd line. The patterning board will tell for sure.

Mike Senko

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

John, I'm going to give you several recommendations and scenarios. Pick the one(s) you want.

MikeTMX gave you some good advice, but you have to have read more of the Technoid to understand why he says 75%-80% pattern efficiency. Most people want more than a 95% of a 1 pellet hit. I certainly do. I will recommend you read everything the Technoid wrote on Shotgun Report. He gives excellent advice, but remember he's primarily a Sporting shooter, so you have to think a little.

What the manufacturer wrote on the chokes has nothing to do with how they perform. You'll have to pattern them to find out, otherwise you, and everyone else is just guessing. If you are willing to do the work, pattern your chokes at the distance you break targets. Then use the choke that gives you 85% efficiency at those distances. It is your best all around bet.

You can get to 85% a couple of ways. The Technoid says that choke and shell selection go hand in hand. He is oh so right. If you shoot 7 1/2s you are going to need tighter chokes to get that 85% than if you use 8s. So if you want to open up you'll have to go to 8s or 8 1/2s, or even 9s if you go too open.

I can tell you from experience that it won't gain you a single bird, on average. That lucky chip you got when you didn't deserve it will be offset by a loss when a well targeted bird flies through a hole in your pattern. I can also tell you from experience that shooting an open choke will make you sloppy.

If your chokes perform as they are supposed to, they are fine for your yardage. You can expect a good IM choke to give you 89%-90% PE at 35 yards- singles ranges. It absolutely will work from the 20 for caps, but I'd still use the LF.

If you have a full choke, use it for practice. It will make you a better shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.