1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Suggestions for older Citori

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JodyR, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodyR

JodyR Member

I just picked up a 1988 Citori O/U with 32" non ported barrels. Serial # ends in a PPN43 . Had trouble finding a N43 but called Browning and they said it is a 1988 "Conventional" trap they thought. It has a thick walled and heavy built long tang 3 hole forearm as well as adjustable comb.. Thats what I have learned about it so far.
    Anyhow, it came with a IM and a M Invector (short style not plus) tubes. I am going to shot trap with it for a while and maybe down the road play a few doubles for fun whith my dad. Nothing serious on the doubles.
    What would the best choice be on tubes? Thinking of doing a Full and Improved Modified...or a Full and Light Full... or ? Also, what barrel would each go in and does most people shoot lower first then upper last in doubles?
    Is there any real benefit to an extended tube like Carlsons or whoever on the short style tubes like this over a standard tube?
    New to O/U and trap pretty much so looking for some advice.
    Thanks!

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would go with either of your choices, depending on how fast you take the first bird of doubles. Usually, the more open choke goes in the lower barrel, that being your first of two shots. Barrel rise of the lower barrel will be less, so that "recovery" for the second shot will be quicker. I know of no advantage to the extended chokes other than you can tighten them with your fingers. Personally, flush fitting chokes give a neater or more traditional appearance. Chichay

3. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I had one in 30" very similar to yours. I found the Briley extended tubes to be an improvement over the short factory flush ones. I used the modified in the bottom and improved modified in the top. I usually used the bottom on singles and always for the first shot in doubles. Most people I think use the bottom barrel first if they have a choice. Have fun and enjoy the Citori!

4. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I have a '86 model 32" Citori trap. Great gun. If you can, shoot some paper and see where both barrels are shooting (ie are they centered L/R and what is the vertical POI). For doubles - I would try the chokes you have. I use Briley flush-mount chokes for doubles - M in the bottom (first shot) and IM in the top barrel. For 16 yd singles, I like to use an extended Briley in IM. The extended choke is a great "barrel protector" when you are resting the gun on your toe or pad between shots. Good shooting !

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JMO-Light mod. In bottom (first) shot---- Imod in Top barrel- sure seems to work for me. Carlson's Extended work GREAT Joe joe90t

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a 1989 Citori Trap with the regular short Invector chokes. The Modified only had about .012 constriction and I got much better 1st bird Doubles breaks with the IM which had .020 constriction. My Full measured .030 and was fine for the 2nd bird in Doubles but I needed an Extra Full choke for 27 yard Handicap. The factory Invector chokes were OK but were definitely more open than aftermarket chokes.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Consider the comments from BluSkyShooter and MikeTMX... Browning Factory chokes are OK... some would say sloppy, but take some time at a patterning board to confirm POI and pattern with what you have... "standard" Invector chokes are different (length and/or slot size?!) from the Invector Plus, so carefully observe the packaging...

Lower barrel typically has lower perceived recoil in an O/U... Always nice to have a #1 full in the inventory for handicap and game shooting...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke tubes for older browning citori

citori 1989 invector chokes

modifying a citori full choke to accept invector chokes

older browning citori chokes

threading a citori for chokes

what choke for older browning citori

what chokes for older model citori