1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CHOKE STUCK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fritzley, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritzley

fritzley TS Member

I cant get the choke tube out of my CG Summit.Ibeleive someone on here had this problem.I put grease on the threads but its tight.Any ideas?

2. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

I stood my barrel in a jar of diesel fuel overnight before and the choke tube came right out. Worked for me. Good luck.

Joe McGorman

3. wild gun one

wild gun one Member

warm the end of the barrel with a hair dryer

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

If all else fails I have a tool that will take it out.
    Don

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Send the barrel to C.G. This is a very common problem that the C.G. owners don't talk about! If you think otherwise walk by their tent at the Grand. Bill

6. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

If you have a Caesar Guerini trap gun be sure you coat not only the threads but the complete surface of the choke tube. Because the threads are on the muzzle end of the choke combustion and build up can get between the barrel and the tube on the breach end of the choke tube. Lubing this area stops the build up between the two. The hydraulic action of the grease or oil stops this action.

LUBE THE WHOLE TUBE!!

LUBE THE WHOLE TUBE!!

LUBE THE WHOLE TUBE!!

LUBE THE WHOLE TUBE!!

Michael Stephenson

Casesar Guerini Magnus owner

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm a CG owner. I've got 2 1/2 years and 30K plus rounds through my Summit Trap and I've never had a stuck choke tube. Now that said I will agree with Michael I have always used CMD grease and I run a small bead from threads to the end of the tube and then rotate the tube in my fingers and install. I have never had to use anything other than my fingers to change a choke tube on my CG except for the one time I used Gator Tears instead of the CMD grease. Had to use the taper fit choke tube wrench that time.

--- Chip King ---

8. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound a little elaborate, but it works & doesn't damage anything. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. We did everything listed above, with no luck I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper in the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas doesn't not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. Several guys on here have tried this & reported back how well it worked. I've posted this numerous times & someone has always called to say how well it works Butch from Pgh

9. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Chipking:

That's exactly the procedure I use. I've had mine 3 years and have 30K plus through the gun. I did get a extra full choke stuck one time - that's when I learned to lube the complete tube. It doesn't take much, just a light coating.

Michael

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Freeze the barrel as cold as your freezer will get it for 48 hours. If that does not work freeze it with dry ice and it will turn right out. As others have mentioned slather the grease on the tube top to bottom before installing it and that will serve two purposes. One it will help create a tighter gas seal and two the choke won't get stuck again. Do not use oil as it helps create moisture build up under the tube after shooting and will only hender the removal. Good luck.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Butch's process works great. I used it many years ago on a flush fit choke tube that was stuck in one of my Brownings (Don't try it with regular epoxy! I had a Mossberg choke on a stick on my work bench as a reminder of this for years). That was also about the time I learned that ANY carbon steel tubes can and will get stuck in ANY carbon steel barrels and began the greasing habits that I use currently. I also pull my tubes and clean them and the barrel then grease and reinstall after each shoot. I do this for any gun I shoot even those with Stainless or Titanium coated tubes.

I have heard but not tried a variation of Joe's method where you use Kroil oil instead of Diesel fuel.

--- Chip King ---

12. Robb

Robb Member

Never Seize

13. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

go buy a cheap box of shells, take them out and shoot all of them off as fast as you can load them, then turn out the choke, i have seen this work more than once.

14. Lewes

Lewes Member

I went to the CG facility in Maryland . They applied heat. Got them out but totaled the chokes. They cautioned me about leaving the chokes in the gun as this is a common problem. Needless to say ( and 2 new chokes @$55.00 each later ) I remove the chokes after each shooting session.

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

A friend of mine had this happen at the grand. he took it to the building and they couldnt get it out, apparently some of the chokes were bored crooked and they kept it over night and still couldnt get it loose, they gave him a new unsingle barrel. Bob S

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Now I see why some of the shooters started to unload their new SG's as quick as they did. I thought there was something more to it than just disliking their new guns. I wonder if a Stainless Steel choke would help??? Or are the CG's chokes arready in SS. Break-em all. Jeff

17. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

One other thing I try and always do,in addition to making sure I have enough grease on the chokes and reapplying it often, is to loosen up the chokes right after shooting, before the gun cools down. If left tight in the gun, and then it cools off, they seem harder to loosen up later. Just a thought.

I have used the barrel standing up in the corner with the choke end down in a jar of some type of "Break-Free" solution (diesel would probably work as well), but only on a skeet tube insert, that I forgot to loosen up the choke after shooting the small gauges. It took a little while, but I got it broke free eventually.

Mike* (MH*)

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use CMD Grease, I always use CMD grease on my choke tubes and they are always tightened finger tight in my CG and all other gus I have owned, Lube the whole tube, Lube the whole tube.
    Works just like ASTRA GLIDE, but CMD is not water soluble.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.