1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke Selection what do you use?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Been awhile since this has hit the threads but always good to bring up old topics.

My question is this:<br>

What choke/shot size combo do you use for the following.

Singles ?<br>
    Doubles ?<br>
    Short Handicap?<br>
    Mid Handicap?<br>
    Long Handicap?

2. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Briley Light Full, from the 16 to the 27.

2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 at the 16 yard line (singles and doubles)

3 dram 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 from the 20 to the 27.

Michael

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Singles: Seminole Mod, 8's
    Doubles: IC, IM, 9's/8's
    To the 23: Mod, 8's
    24+: Imod, 7.5's

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Full - Full and Full

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Full, occasionally IM for singles.

Neil

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

IM for everything! IC and a 1oz load of 8's work well from the 16yd line, but I very rarly shoot from the woman & children line!

ec90t

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

.035 all the time, cept for skeet where I use .000 and .000. Same gun both sports.

8. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

full, fuller and fullest. Read Frank Little`s book: Little Trapshooting Secrets
    It`s all trivia, quit mindf****g yourself; but worth discussing. I just try to enjoy myself. Shot in the pouring rain yesterdy; I had a good time, could`ve watched NASCAR, shot trap instead. No knock on Stocks, just rather shoot if possible. If shooting Skeet trap and sp clays get an O/U and tubes, or an auto w/tubes. Just trap, full.

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Wow!! you guys shoot with tight chokes. I use Light Mod @ 16yd and IM @ 27yd. 1oz loads, #8 shot. Dave T.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

For practice extra full, ata shoots full or mod depending on how windy it is.

Jerbear

11. BMC

BMC Member

Singles=Full x 1oz #8
    Caps=Full x 1-1/16oz #8
    Doubles=Mod x 1oz #8 and 1-1/16oz #8

12. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I would highly suggest you pay attention to Jim Forsbach! Check his record! Guy can flat shoot and a big Buckeye fan! Go tonight Buckeyes! Tom Rhoads

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bluetic,

I can hit them just fine. I just find it too boring. I never understood why people shot them.

ec90t

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I shoot lots of close up targets just not trap targets. I prefer my close targets at the sporting clays course.

A guy that I have shot with, on more than 1 occasion, won AA singles at the Grand. He had to shoot an additional 326 targets to do it, He was originally shooting for high score but finally missed one. The additional targets didn't cost him anything, but the shells did. I asked him if the payout was worth while. I then asked him if he would have done this well in the 'caps how much would he have won.

It seems to me that if you want to get good at it, 'caps is where it's at. The only thing that should be shot from the 16 is doubles, and that's still open for debate.

These days, if I shoot from the 16yd line it is done with a .410 while shooting a Annie. Yes we shoot 16yd annies around here with a .410

I quit shooting registered targets a while back, because people were just way too serious.

I enjoy laughing and joking around while I shoot. If I wanted to be serious all the time, I would stay at work!

I am now a game shooter primarily and can shoot three to four times a week for a lot less money than a single day of registered trap. I do this through the week so I can do other things on the weekend.

Just my opinion and take it for that!

ec90t

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shot my highest averages with Full. I now shoot Imp. Mod. Thinking maybe I should go back to Full!!

16. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

Geez get off his back, ec90t is right. Singles are boring, that's the only reason its difficult to run em'. And I will have to say that anyone who would shoot a singles marathon has to be a little "light in the loafers", if you know what I'm saying.

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hippo,

I wasn't going to say it that away, but since you did I'll go along. Very funny post!

Bill Gardner,

You missed the point! I didn't quit shooting ATA targets because of my abilities, I quit shooting them because of cost, time, and atmosphere. I may go shoot some from time to time, but I won't go out of my way.

ec90t

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Depends how fast you shoot. Why not shoot Mod. on 16's if your fast enough, and your pattern is tight enough? IC/Mod on doubles would work as well. Shoot what works best for you. Long yardage...different ballgame...full.

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Shootlow,

Yes I do, that is the reason why my registered shooting is done at sporting clays!

ec90t

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a full choke for everything except the first shot on doubles. I use an IM there. I do take my full choke tube out of my unsingle barrel once every 2-3 years and look at it before I screw it back in.

Jim Forsbach did have the correct selection on chokes but I question his selection of Ohio State in basketball.

hippo- If your observation is correct, I am light in my loafers. Actually, I do wish I was a bit lighter in my loafers.

ec90t- I hope you again join us in shooting trap. The great friends made at a trap club are worth whatever time and money is used to meet so many other fine people.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.