1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Choke selection on 20ga for hunting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

First I know nothing about hunting, but enjoy it. What chokes are good for Browning Invector 20 gauge for hunting bird eg.- quail, dove, wood cock and rabbit? This would be non preserve hunting if that makes any difference. Any other suggestions are always welcome such as shell choice and shot size. Thanks, Mike Sharkey, DC

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

For the small birds you mentioned, I.C. or skeet with 7\8oz. # 7&1\2 or 8s should be good up to about 25-- 30yds. 2nd. bbl. Mod. O.K. to 40yds. Cotton tails Mod. with #6 is a good all around choice 7\8 or 1oz, if you hunt in heavy brush for rabbits you may want to go to #5s.--Happy Hunting--Ross Puls

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I used a mod for 20 years before I had a gun with screw in chokes.. everything from quail to ducks..

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

The combination of improved cylinder and modified have worked great for me. Number 7.5 shot works for all the game you mentioned.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If I were to buy a 20 ga O/U for the field, I would screw in LM and IM and go hunt.

If hunting with an auto, these would be the two chokes for it.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My first "real" shotgun was a Model 12 20 ga with a 26" barrel and IC choke that I got on my 12th birthday. I lived on a farm and hunted everything with that gun except big game. I killed a ton of quail, rabbits and squirrels by just changing the size shot to suit. Also jump shot ducks along the creek and the Shenandoah river which ran along the edge of our farm with it. We always had excellent bird dogs and bird populations were abundant in the '50s and '60s.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Modified is always a good choice for hunting.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

IC with # 8s for preserve shooting over dogs. Modified 71/2 for for rabbits. Combo of IC and MOD. is the standard for a good reason - it works well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga skeet choke for hunting

20 gauge choke selections for quail hunting

20 guage trap choke selection